Purpose & Accountabilities
Basic Data Engineer is a position in the Technology Department reporting to the Manager Operational Excellence providing assurance for the site’s units’ mass balance and providing input and consulting for the site’s fence line hydrocarbon mass balance. The Basic Data Engineer will be responsible for either Godorf or Wesseling and collaborate with the Mass Balance Analyst on site.
The primary role of Basic Data Engineer will be for assurance of site Basic Data as outlined in the DSM Basic Data RP to improve and then sustain the quality of plant data for application in engineering, planning, scheduling, and accounting tools.
- Performs daily execution of the integrated site mass balance on the DataRec/ROMEO platform and subsequent download of reconciled data to the PI historian
- Collaborates with Operations Support Process Engineers (OSEs)/Unit Technologists, E&S personnel, Process Control System and Instrument Engineers, and corporate SMEs to maintain the model and keep balances within tolerances.
- Updates the Process Flow Diagrams for DataRec/ROMEO model
- Leads or assists in evaluation of complex technical issues or opportunities dealing with site mass balance and unit flows, often with multiple disciplines engaged. Assists as appropriate in problem definition and ensuring solutions that arise in site mass balance. Communicates with the appropriate personnel from front lines up to site leadership the status of mass balance problems and issues.
- Works with Process Engineering and corporate SMEs to reconcile mass balance and stream property gaps between Non-Linear Process Models and plant. This also includes running of the DataRec model to support process unit test runs and model tuning
- Translates legacy mass balance data and tools from Process Engineering and others to the Data Rec tool and incorporates legacy knowledge into site mass balance work process
- Works with E&S to perform LP model vs actual yield and track stream properties versus predicted. Ensure stream routings are aligned between plant and model balances
- Works with unit CSEs to address and correct unit flow meter issues
- Works with the Hydrocarbon Mass Balance (HMB) personnel to provide data and understand site mass balance discrepancies
- Works with the HMB and FINOPS personnel to assure that data used for HMB is accurate
- Supports reporting of EII and GHG emissions performance. Ensures consistency of data
- Provides overview of Daily Mass Balance for integrated site (Refining and Chemicals)
- Provide support to the asset’s Hydrocarbon Mass Balance process as a value Engine
- The Basic Data Engineer provides assurance for the site’s units’ mass balance and providing input and consulting for the site’s fence line hydrocarbon mass balance
- Business knowledge and operational skills on activities at the manufacturing site, chemical plant, supply chain and distribution location. Includes specific methods, software and hardware.
- Confidence to work in virtual environment and managing engagement across different levels of stakeholders, including senior management for day to day operations. Includes initiative to identify and help resolve business and technical issues within areas of responsibility.
- Continuously represent the Team in different Global Forums. Keeping the technology and knowledge updated as per Global Industry changes and adaption.
- Sound understanding of business/process workflow and having mature mindset to deal and behave under tough/challenging situations.
- Strong proficiency in using English for both spoken and written communication, as well as using Skype for Business, Instant Messaging, Video Conferencing, Outlook, etc.
- Shift work following operating hours of the operating units, manufacturing site, chemical plant, supply chain and distribution location.
- A self-starter leader and reliable deliverer, with very good verbal and written skills in English, able to negotiate with people, and able to resist undue influence that might otherwise compromise integrity of data quality.
- Exposes the individual to all cultural backgrounds and organisational levels, across diverse timezones
Skills & Requirements
- University Degree in Chemical/Petroleum or other oil and gas related degree.
- 5 yrs+ or more of work experience in Oil & Gas/ Petrochemicals industry past degree in engineering with experience in one or more of the following:
- Hands on Experience and good understanding of Refinery/Petrochemical plant operations from a process engineering perspective.
- Has exposure to Hydrocarbon Mass Balance calculations and Plant modelling and Real Time Optimization. Familiar with the different plant equipment such as pumps, vessels, compressors, instrumentation, etc. Has a basic understanding of plant maintenance and operations.
- Effective communication skills and stakeholder management is a necessary skill for the job.
- Basic understanding of Field Instrumentation – flow meters, temperature and pressure measuring devices, control valves, etc.
- Hands on Experience in a mass balancing module tool, Process Pi, DataRec/Romeo Platform.
- Knowledge of CI methodology is an added value. Able to multi-task, prioritize and ensure delivery of priorities as promised, work without close supervision, and work through others to deliver results.
- Virtual working experience would be added advantage.
- Detailed grasp of the context of use of technical data and documentation within technical data processes
- Ability to deal effectively with complexity and detail.
- Ability to prioritize and ensure delivery of priorities for the area of responsibility.
- Flexible and adaptable to change, with track record of demonstrating initiative, analytical capabilities and problem solving.
- Self-starter and an independent worker capable of collaborating in a team environment with an ability to build strong effective relationships with asset production teams while working remotely
ell as interfaces with related areas. Supports system set-ups and changes, based on the information provided. Assists in analysis of information.
• Handles more complex activities with moderate variation. Deals with less straightforward questions, adjustment with many sources of information necessary within and outside business supported.
• Works within a limited variety of well-defined procedures and practices (not necessarily standardized) and is supervised on progress and results by manager. Works autonomously within this defined scope, directly supporting management and specialists.
• Guides internal stakeholders based on basic data analysis.
This job profile contains generic information and does not describe individual positions or required job competencies. Grading decisions will also depend on other factors.