This is what you will do:
Alexion’s Product Development and Clinical Supply (PDCS) organization is seeking an experienced automation engineer to enable design and deployment of advanced laboratory and process automation systems for the Synthetic Process Development team, with emphasis on ensuring seamless data flow to enable modeling, AI/ML, data visualization, and data-rich experimental records. The Senior Automation Engineer III, Synthetic Process Development, will leverage deep data engineering and laboratory automation expertise and will focus on the architecture, design, control, and data management of robotics and automated systems that will drive efficiency, inform data-driven decisions, and enable the design and development of pharmaceutical manufacturing processes. You will collaborate extensively with Alexion scientists and engineers as well as external partners to provide data management and operational solutions for laboratory and process automation.
You will be responsible for:
- Designing, deploying, and sustaining software and data management solutions to enable innovative laboratory automaton systems, as well as highly flexible and reconfigurable automated miniaturized manufacturing systems.
- Leveraging expertise in multiple programming languages, database management systems, and cloud technology to enable advanced laboratory and process automation for pharmaceutical research and development.
- Acting as the Synthetic Process Developoment team’s main point of contact with Alexion / AstraZeneca IT partners, and clearly translating scientific business requirements into actionable IT and data management strategies.
- Driving innovation and leading collaborations with strategic partners.
- Acting as a thought leader in data engineering, robotics, and automated process control, with demonstrated mastery of multiple automation platforms and ability to rapidly gain proficiency in additional platforms.
- Building a comprehensive understanding of scientific workflows and key data flows within the Synthetic Process Development team, and applying this understanding to create a strategic vision for the development of future laboratory and process automation systems, and associated innovations in data management strategies.
- Keeping up-to-date with the latest advancements through publications, participation in precompetitive consortia, via knowledge exchange with strategic business partners, and where possible, via conference attendance.
You will need to have:
- Degree in software engineering, computer science, or related scientific field (chemical engineering, robotics, etc.) with relevant hands on experience in data engineering, robotics, and laboratory automation (PhD: 7+ years experience, MS: 10+ years experience, BSc: 15+ years experience).
- Expertise in multiple programming languages (Python, C#, etc.), database management (SQL, NoSQL, etc.), and cloud technology (AWS, serverless design pattern, etc.).
- Expertise in creating, modifying and troubleshooting scripts for laboratory robotics and process automation, and managing seamless data flow.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in a fast-paced team-centered environment, and rapidly learn new skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in design and deployment of integrated automated platforms incorporating components from multiple vendors, with emphasis on integrated data management strategies.
- Ability to plan and execute complex technical projects, and remotely manage timelines for development activities at external strategic business partners.
- Up to 15% travel, with ability to work independently from remote locations.
- The duties of this role may require periodic work in a laboratory or manufacturing environment. As is typical of such roles, employees must be able, with or without an accommodation to: lift/carry 15/30 pounds unassisted/assisted; work comfortably in a controlled environment with and around hazardous materials; gown/degown PPE; use a computer; engage in communications via phone, video, and electronic messaging; engage in problem solving and non-linear thought, analysis, and dialogue; collaborate with others; maintain general availability during standard business hours.
We would prefer for you to have:
- Experience in automated chemical synthesis, analysis, and purification.
- Understanding of the overall drug development and commercialization process, from discovery through product launch and lifecycle management.
- Prior experience in chemometrics, including use of multivariate data analysis, in situ reaction monitoring, reaction profiling, and development of first-principles process chemistry models.
- Working knowledge of flow chemistry and continuous processing.
In-person statement for 4 days in the office:
When we put unexpected teams in the same room, we unleash bold thinking with the power to inspire life-changing medicines. In-person working give us the platform we need to connect, work at pace and challenge perceptions. That’s why we work, on average, a minimum of four days per week from the office. But that doesn’t mean we’re not flexible. We balance the expectation of being in the office while respecting individual flexibility. Join us in our unique and ambitious world.