The Polymers Reliability Engineer provides rotating and fixed equipment mechanical maintenance and reliability engineering support for the polyethylene units at the Lake Charles Louisiana Integrated Polyethylene Facility in Westlake, Louisiana. This role supports the production unit maintenance / reliability efforts and drive improvements in maintenance work processes, procedures, performance, and cost. The position supports task planning, incident investigations and work performance as they relate to key focus areas of Safety, Environmental, Quality, Reliability, and Cost of Operation. This position also includes responsibilities in managing a Reliability Improvement Team.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Troubleshoot issues with mechanical equipment (pressure vessels, heat exchangers, reciprocating and centrifugal compressors, pumps, gearboxes, blowers, turbogenerators, boilers, etc.)
- Conduct investigations to determine root cause of equipment failures; complete and close findings as required
- Lead or participate in site reliability improvement teams which identify, prioritize, and resolve maintenance / reliability / production issues.
- Provide expertise in high pressure equipment and compressors.
- Support and participate in the site’s safety programs
- Assure reliability improvement projects are included in the development of the yearly maintenance and capital budget process
- Provide technical / engineering specifications for design of new pieces of mechanical equipment and inspection / repair of exiting pieces of mechanical equipment
- Provide support to establish adequate spare parts and preventative maintenance tasks on equipment
- Provide planning support for major machinery overhauls and equipment replacement, specifying scope of required work and technical details to ensure successful execution
- Mentor engineers, specialists, and technicians and provide training in mechanical equipment operation and repair
- Develop and maintain site systems and procedures to implement corporate engineering and operational excellence standards
- Support site capital projects per corporate project management process
- Responsible for gaining and maintaining process knowledge of the unit and process changes to the unit, to enable effective operation and detection of unusual process conditions
- Responsible for taking ownership of the unit to ensure production rates and right-first-time results are maximized and to ensure the unit is maintained in proper operating condition
- Responsible for taking readings, utilizing plant data / control systems, and observing process conditions on a continual basis to maintain good control of the unit
- Provide accurate and timely communication to co-workers and work with other functions to improve individual and unit performance
Area of Expertise, Requirements
- Working knowledge and familiarity in accessing current industry standards, including but not limited to ASME/API/NACE, etc.
- Strong fundamentals in engineering consultation and technical knowledge (interpretation of inspection data, mechanical design, equipment damage mechanisms, etc.)
- Understanding of CMMS systems and content development, i.e., SAP, Inspection Manager, Meridium, Ultra Pipe, etc.
- Ability to interpret and recommend vibration analysis, experience with Prognost is preferred
- Understanding of the concepts of tribology
- Ability to grasp LyondellBasell Operational Excellence GAIS (FLOC, Asset Register, PM’s PdM’s, etc.)
- Able to travel approximately once per quarter
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, required
- Minimum of 10 years plant experience working with rotating and fixed equipment, required
- Experience in high pressure equipment including reciprocating compressor operation, required
- Experience performing equipment troubleshooting and root cause failure analysis, required
Languages English, additional language preferred
Builds effective teams
Instills trust and exemplifies integrity
We are LyondellBasell – a leader in the global chemical industry creating solutions for everyday sustainable living. Through advanced technology and focused investments, we are enabling a circular and low carbon economy. Across all we do, we aim to champion our employees, and unlock value for customers, investors and society. LyondellBasell places high priority on diversity, equity and inclusion and is strongly committed to our planet, the communities where we operate and our future workforce. As one of the world’s largest producers of polymers and a leader in polyolefin technologies, we develop, manufacture and market high-quality and innovative products for applications ranging from sustainable transportation and food safety to clean water and quality healthcare. For more information, please visit www.lyondellbasell.com or follow @LyondellBasell on LinkedIn.
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.