The APS Manufacturing Process Engineer Expert position is the main focal point providing technical expertise and process support for the APS Americas Manufacturing sites involved in each product line – PolyPropylene Compounding (PPC), Color Concentrates (CPC), Engineered Polymers (EP), Specialty Powders (SP), Engineered Composites (EC), and Masterbatch (MBS) - in the North and South American regions.
This person has a leadership role in coordinating technical activities for the APS Americas sites and communicates frequently with site management staff. This position monitors, troubleshoots and optimizes operating units to drive process and product improvements as well as identifies and recommends projects and/or initiatives to improve plant performance and support the design and implementation of such projects/initiatives. Role provides leadership in administration, execution and compliance with applicable processes supporting operational expense projects and capital expense projects.
This position represents the interface with the Global Projects team for major capital projects, with the experts in the Global Engineering team regarding any specific technical matter and with Corporate and APS HSE teams for ensuring actions are defined and implemented so the sites are in compliance with HSE and Operational Excellence standards and practices.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Maintain strong occupational safety, process safety and environmental compliance focus
- Solid understanding of plant operations with strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Cultivate and share knowledge of APS processes and equipment
- Develop recommendations to improve unit performance as measured by key performance indicators
- Be a technical reference for determining and sharing best practices about operations of existing assets
- Provide leadership to Technical Network Teams to meet annual goal objectives as the Global Process Owner (GPO) for the Compounding Knowledge Community
- Lead Core Network team and create, maintain and improve Excellence models
- Ensure Learning from Experience (LFE) is communicated and acted upon within the region
- Support / improve Process Safety Management compliance / performance
- Support Business initiatives and targeted Value Enhancement Projects (VEP)
- Effectively communicate with Site Management, as well as Senior LYB Management on capital projects, Technical Network, APS plant goals and performance, troubleshooting and site technical opportunities
- Provide guidance during plant developments / trials and technically support product commercialization
- Provide technical leadership and support for capital projects aligned with CapEx Long-Range Plan (LRP)
- Perform design calculations required to generate process data to check and validate equipment and system performance and provide support / leadership when improvements are needed
- Consult, assist and/or lead, as necessary, incident investigations, troubleshooting and/or follow-up actions
- Support Operational Excellence and Product Stewardship to develop standard / specifications / technical guidance to meet Process Safety, Operational Excellence and Quality Management System requirements
- Effectively interface with groups across the company including site manufacturing, technical groups, other process engineering support groups, R&D, Operational Excellence, Business, Asset Management, Global Projects and Global Engineering
- Effectively facilitate teamwork to obtain alignment of organizational goals and gain consensus and support from company personnel
- Cultivate and share knowledge about compounding, extrusion, and grinding processes, equipment, operating conditions, and capabilities
- Advance innovative solutions in project scopes and resolution of process challenges
- Mentor less experienced engineers and project managers
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Technical discipline or equivalent direct APS related experience
- Minimum of 12 years engineering experience within the polymers or plastics or chemical process industries.
- Ability to utilize good leadership skills with capability of influencing others at all levels including Executive and Senior management and Site Management
- Excellent written communication skills
- Ability to prepare and deliver complex technical reports and presentations.
- Ability to conduct effective virtual meetings driving collaboration and integration across a number of functional groups.
- Ability to travel 50-60% domestically and within LATAM.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering
- Registered Professional Engineer
- Compounded polymer manufacturing operations and/or engineering experience.
- Spanish or Portuguese proficiency a plus
Builds effective teams
Instills trust and exemplifies integrity
We are LyondellBasell – a leader in the global chemical industry creating solutions for everyday sustainable living. Through advanced technology and focused investments, we are enabling a circular and low carbon economy. Across all we do, we aim to champion our employees, and unlock value for customers, investors and society. LyondellBasell places high priority on diversity, equity and inclusion and is strongly committed to our planet, the communities where we operate and our future workforce. As one of the world’s largest producers of polymers and a leader in polyolefin technologies, we develop, manufacture and market high-quality and innovative products for applications ranging from sustainable transportation and food safety to clean water and quality healthcare. For more information, please visit www.lyondellbasell.com or follow @LyondellBasell on LinkedIn.