About this Job:
We invite you to help us shape the future of agriculture. At Syngenta, we believe every team member has a role to play in safely feeding the world and taking care of our planet. To support that challenge, the Manufacturing Excellence (ManEx) team is seeking an Engineer Co-op to progress efforts towards meeting our Sustainability goals. These include reducing our carbon footprint as well as water and waste intensity.
As a Co-op at Syngenta, you will have the opportunity to work in the demanding world of a large chemical production facility and work on real projects, finding real solutions. You will be part of a team supporting Sustainability at the site, working alongside some of the brightest minds in the industry. You will be part of ManEx Sustainability initiatives utilizing the Continuous Improvement, Lean and Operational Excellence Methodologies that seek to identify opportunities throughout the site and drive them through completion.
Work with us and you’ll get:
- Competitive wages
- Ongoing career development resources
- The opportunity to work on meaningful, innovative projects that solve problems
- A culture that celebrates equity, diversity & inclusion, promotes professional development, and offers flexible work options to meet both your work and personal needs
Estimated Duration: January 2024 – August 2024
- Perform various tasks such as:
- Sustainability assessments and/or modeling on production processes and proposed process improvements
- Evaluate unit operation efficiency & performance sustainability impact
- Perform life cycle analysis on site products
- Support site’s Sustainability Culture Team
- Project development and personnel development/training
- 80% of work will be performed in an office setting: Sending emails, working in Excel files, using modeling software, developing dashboards, contacting vendors, drafting reports, performing impact assessments, etc.
- 20% of work will be performed in an operations setting: collecting data from the shop floor, participating in site tier, etc.
What you must have:
- Enrollment in a Bachelor’s or Advanced Degree program in Engineering (Chemical, Environmental, Industrial, or Mechanical)
- Good academic standing with the university, with a minimum 2.5 GPA overall/major
- Relevant core basic science/engineering classes through Sophomore level: (i.e. – Physics, Chemistry, Calculus, and Heat and Mass balances)
- Fluent in English
What you might also bring to the table:
- Junior or Senior class standing
- The ability to communicate information well (both written and spoken) is highly desired
- The ability to collaborate with people who come from diverse backgrounds
- An independent person who is self-motivated and needs little supervision
- Detail/Accuracy Oriented - All procedures and policies must be understood and followed
- Ability to apply a systemic approach to problem solving
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of Heat and Mass Transfer; Mass and Energy Balances; Life Cycle Assessments
- Knowledge of Aspen Plus and Seeq is a plus
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's (EEOC)
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)
As a world market leader in crop protection, we help farmers to counter these threats and ensure enough safe, nutritious, affordable food for all – while minimizing the use of land and other agricultural inputs. Syngenta Crop Protection keeps plants safe from planting to harvesting. From the moment a seed is planted through to harvest, crops need to be protected from weeds, insects and diseases as well as droughts and floods, heat and cold. Syngenta Crop Protection is headquartered in Switzerland.