DePuy Synthes is recruiting for a Principal Chemical Cost Engineer position primarily located in West Chester, PA or Bridgewater, NJ with consideration given to another global Johnson and Johnson hub location.
DePuy Synthes Companies of Johnson & Johnson is the largest, most innovative and comprehensive Orthopedic and neurological business in the world. DePuy Synthes Companies will offer an unparalleled breadth and depth of products, services and programs in the areas of Joint Reconstruction, Trauma, Spine, Sports Medicine, Neurological, Craniomaxillofacial, Power Tools and Biomaterials. With a focus on activating insights to develop innovative, comprehensive solutions, we are inspired to advance patient care in greater ways than either company could accomplish on its own.
Reporting to the Director, Cost Engineering and Data Analytics, the Principal Chemical Cost Engineer is responsible for establishing should cost engineering benchmarks, completing detailed supplier price / cost analytics and support Strategic Sourcing and New Product Development in negotiation strategy development and face to face supplier negotiations. Also, this Principal will lead competitive design cost analysis projects in support of Johnson & Johnson Enterprise franchises.
- This person will lead, review, and prepare should cost engineering benchmarks for Chemical based and Pharmaceutical externally manufacturing finished goods, commodities, and custom materials across the Johnson & Johnson Enterprise Supply Chain.
- Analyze drawings, specifications, and process validation documents to prepare accurate global cost benchmarks utilizing raw materials, cycle time, scrap, etc., considering machine/labor rates, manufacturing related overheads, capacity, automation, etc.
- Develop and propose detailed design and material recommendations for improvement and their associated costs and benefits.
- Present accurate should cost modeling benchmarks and recommendations to Sourcing, R&D and Program teams.
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team to establish the current baseline conditions and cost performance needs of the business and facilitate development of strategic plans to address cost opportunities identified through cost engineering modeling process and strategic cost management principles.
- Manage chemical and pharmaceutical based manufacturing technologies & process cost benchmarking database for multiple cost elements
- Track Chemical, API & Biologics Category supplier transparency to enable efficient analytics for raw material, manufacturing costs and mark-ups.
- Interface directly with suppliers in support of Chemical, API and Biologics Categories detailed cost/price negotiations with global supplier base.
- This person will need to possess a keen business understanding, a broad knowledge of chemical and pharmaceutical based manufacturing technologies & processes. Previous work experience in developing activity-based cost models and an understanding of cost accounting principles required to provide efficient product and operational level cost analytics for procured materials, components and finished products preferred.
- Strong influencing skills and ability to challenge the status quo, with demonstrated success in developing business cases.
- Strong financial skills and demonstrated ability to develop and use cost models that tie to chemical and pharmaceutical based manufacturing and supply chain cost drivers.
- Strong negotiation and communication skills, with the ability to create fact-based rationales and strategies
- BS in Science or Engineering disciplines, Chemical or Industrial Engineering degree is preferred.
- Six Sigma Green Belt or, Black Belt preferred
- Minimum 10 years work experience in chemical or pharmaceutical based manufacturing environment with broad process knowledge across chemical and pharmaceutical manufacturing technologies and processes.
- Minimum of two years of experience activity based cost modeling and / or quoting, estimating or sales engineering in chemical or pharmaceutical manufacturing industry preferred
- Strong Excel analytical skills
- Project management experience
- Ability to work within a matrix organization
- Experience working on transformational projects
- Change management and project management skills required, project management certification a plus.
- Demonstrated people leadership and facilitation skills
- Excellent interpersonal, relational, and communication skill to align with key value chain stakeholders & partners
- Ability to handle multiple task and adapt quickly to changing requirements
Location / Travel Requirements
This position is primarily located in West Chester, PA or Bridgewater, NJ with consideration given to another global Johnson and Johnson hub location. May require up to 20% domestic and/or international travel.