When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Location/Division Specific Information
The Process Development Engineer-Injection Molding is part of the Laboratory Products Division (LPD) which supports a collaborative culture to deliver the lab consumables that our customers need to achieve their scientific goals – quickly, reliably and safely. This role will reside in Petaluma, CA.
How will you make an impact?
The Plastics Process Engineer will provide process engineering and tooling support for injection molding related projects. Includes hands-on process/tooling troubleshooting, process optimization using scientific molding principles, coordinating tooling repairs & procurement, process and component validations, cost savings initiatives, and equipment specification and implementation.
Make an impact for your career, our customers and the world with this exciting opportunity for a talented engineer. Collaborate with others like you to drive innovation, implement new design technology and develop best engineering practices in a growing organization.
What will you do?
- Hands-on injection molding process and tooling troubleshooting.
- Develop molding processes and parameters for new and improved products to maximize quality and production.
- Process optimization following scientific molding principles following good documentation practice.
- Define and perform validations using IQ/OQ/PQ (Installation Qualification/Operational Qualification and Process Qualification) methodologies for equipment, tooling, and processes.
- Proactively follow and support departmental policies and procedures when performing standard work.
- Recommend, evaluate, and validate new materials in support of cost savings, alternates, and new product development.
- Coordinate tooling repairs, modifications, refurbishment, and procurement.
- Specify, procure, and implement new equipment.
- Support R&D and Operations continuous improvement/cost savings projects.
- Establish and maintain manufacturing procedures and quality plans.
- Perform visual inspections, recommend and perform approved mold modifications and/or repairs.
- Conduct meetings, document meeting minutes, and prepare technical and status reports as required for internal distribution and external communication.
- Assist in the training of mold maintenance personnel on current and new departmental processes and procedures to perform standard work for maintenance activities such as mold reconfiguration, replacement/repair of defective, worn or damaged mold components.
- Work cooperatively with all departments to resolve complex mold issues.
- Perform all job duties in a safe manner and obey all safety policies and procedures
- Perform all job duties consistent with the Code of Ethics and the 4-I Values
- Perform all job duties within ISO standards, regulatory and statutory requirements
- Perform other duties and cross training as assigned
How will you get here?
- BS Degree in Mechanical, Chemical or Plastics Engineering or equivalent industry experience with a minimum of 1 year injection molding process development experience.
- Hands-on experience with setup, operation, and troubleshooting/optimization of injection molding machines and processes.
- Experience with injection molding of life science, medical devices or laboratory products highly preferred.
- 5 years of practical experience in a manufacturing environment: process validation knowledge is preferred.
- Experience with scientific molding principles, and injection molding process optimization.
- Experience in mold and process IOPQ (Installation, Operational and Process Qualification) and product verification and validation preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to apply problem solving methodology to identify root cause and implement solutions.
- Experience with Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), ISO standards, Lean manufacturing concepts and familiarization of FDA regulations desired.
- ISO 9001 familiarity and ISO 13485 preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Understanding of mechanical drawings, solid models and mold flow comprehension.
- Proficiency in SolidWorks is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prepare and write reports and correspondence.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects, and work effectively with other departments.
- Strong computer skills (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and statistical software).
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to interact and communicate with individuals in other departments at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Creative, innovative and critical thinking
- Analytical nature, responds positively to challenges and a problem solver
- Responsive, results oriented and task driven
- Seeks out collaboration opportunities
- Effective oral, written communication and presentation skills
- Willing to travel domestically and internationally approximately 10%
- Ability to alternate between standing, walking, and sitting for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Apply today! http://jobs.thermofisher.com
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.