The Channelview POTBA unit was successfully started up in March 2023 and reached 100% of design rates in May 2023. While the most critical issues preventing the startup and ramp up to design rates have been resolved, there remain numerous opportunities to enhance reliability, yields, and production rates of this new construction plant.
The Project Production Engineer will play a crucial role in monitoring, troubleshooting, and optimizing the POTBA unit to drive process improvements. This individual will be responsible for identifying, developing, and spearheading strategic projects aimed at improving unit performance and resolving early performance issues in the new plant. Collaboration with process specialists, operations and maintenance personnel, and other engineers will be essential for success in this role.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Maintain a strong focus on safety and environmental compliance, ensuring validation of OE standard compliance following startup.
- Monitor and fine-tune key performance parameters to optimize plant performance.
- Identify and develop projects aimed at resolving initial plant operational issues and enhancing performance.
- Balance day-to-day operational priorities with long-term strategic objectives to ensure alignment with company goals.
- Contribute in a team environment and establish work relationships with onsite and offsite functional groups to achieve results.
- Coach less experienced engineers and provide technical training to others.
- Provide technical expertise in PSM activities, including PHA (Process Hazard Analysis), MOC (Management of Change), PSV (Pressure Safety Valve) calculations, Safety Critical Equipment/Variables, and Incident Investigations, among others.
- BS degree in Chemical Engineering is required.
- 4 or more years of experience in a refining, petrochemical, or chemical environment is required
- Knowledgeable in chemical and process engineering fundamentals
- Demonstrated ability to apply engineering concepts to solve performance problems
- Knowledgeable in the HSE/PSM regulations and relevant company OE guidelines/procedures
- Demonstrated ability to be a valued member of a team.
- Flexible work schedule to troubleshoot early performance issues of new plant operations and support shutdown/startup activities
- Good troubleshooting skills and techniques
Builds effective teams
Instills trust and exemplifies integrity
We are LyondellBasell – a leader in the global chemical industry creating solutions for everyday sustainable living. Through advanced technology and focused investments, we are enabling a circular and low carbon economy. Across all we do, we aim to champion our employees, and unlock value for customers, investors and society. LyondellBasell places high priority on diversity, equity and inclusion and is strongly committed to our planet, the communities where we operate and our future workforce. As one of the world’s largest producers of polymers and a leader in polyolefin technologies, we develop, manufacture and market high-quality and innovative products for applications ranging from sustainable transportation and food safety to clean water and quality healthcare. For more information, please visit www.lyondellbasell.com or follow @LyondellBasell on LinkedIn.