Position Location: Lyondellbasell LaPorte facility located in LaPorte TX. The LaPorte Complex consists of an Ethylene Steam Cracker, Acetic Acid Unit, Vinyl Acetate Monomer Unit, Syngas Partial Oxidation Unit, Methanol Unit, and 3 Polyethylene plants.
The Process Safety Management Engineer is responsible for promoting overall process safety practices and compliance with applicable standards and plant procedures related to process safety. The engineer will coordinate surveys and assessments of process safety systems at the plant. The incumbent will evaluate process safety KPIs and develop and implement plans to address issues arising from metrics. The engineer will participate in PHAs, MOCs, facility siting, audits and incident investigations. The engineer will also work with company technical networks (e.g., Process Safety Network) and industry trade groups with an interest in process safety (e.g., AFPM, ACC, etc.) and identify best practices for incorporation within the site. The engineer may from time to time participate in Operational Excellence audits at other plant sites.
• Develops, implements, maintains and coordinates the PHA process for the site. Publishes the PHA schedule and works with managers to ensure that PHAs are completed in a timely fashion. Actively participates in unit PHA discussions and facilitates PHAs for capital projects. Provides a QA/QC function for PHAs to ensure that all requirements are met.
• Owns plant procedures associated with Corporate Operational Excellence standards, guidelines and preferred practices. Examples: Process Hazard Analysis (PHA), Safety Critical Equipment (SCE), Safety Critical Variables (SCV), Safety System Bypass (SSB), and Process Safety Information (PSI). Provides recommendations for compliance with procedures.
• Participates in management of change (MOC).
• Provides turnaround process safety support to the various units at the site as needed.
• Champions process safety knowledge sharing across the site.
• Serves as a lead for Operational Excellence Self-assessments, Corporate audits, 3rd party audits (OSHA VPP) and inspections by regulatory authorities.
• Communicates external process safety events to the site and share best practices identified within the company.
• Identifies process safety improvement opportunities to develop and provide appropriate site-wide training.
• Participate in routine site-wide hazard identification audits.
• Occasionally coordinates or reviews the work of less experienced engineers.
• Occasionally serves as a lead external Operation Excellence auditor in other plants.
Must possess a four-year BS degree in engineering with Chemical Engineering degree preferred. Prior experience in the petrochemical or refining industry with greater than 6-8 years of experience. Candidate should have familiarity with OSHA PSM regulations. Possesses good organizational skills. Able to manage multiple priorities and deadlines. The individual should be self-motivated and should be capable of driving their own work based on broad goals and objectives. The candidate should have good written and oral communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization.
We are LyondellBasell – a leader in the global chemical industry creating solutions for everyday sustainable living. Through advanced technology and focused investments, we are enabling a circular and low carbon economy. Across all we do, we aim to champion our employees, and unlock value for customers, investors and society. LyondellBasell places high priority on diversity, equity and inclusion and is strongly committed to our planet, the communities where we operate and our future workforce. As one of the world’s largest producers of polymers and a leader in polyolefin technologies, we develop, manufacture and market high-quality and innovative products for applications ranging from sustainable transportation and food safety to clean water and quality healthcare. For more information, please visit www.lyondellbasell.com or follow @LyondellBasell on LinkedIn.
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.