The Process Control Systems Engineer is responsible for keeping the Corpus Christi Operations site’s process control systems operational. The Process Control Systems Engineer also provides leadership and discipline expertise to the less experienced engineering support staff. Through continued technical expertise as the system administrator, this position also provides daily support to engineering, design, maintenance and production groups. The Process Control Systems Engineer is also responsible for assisting Co-located Project Engineers in establishing and meeting schedules and budgets. The Process Control Systems Engineer will also have the responsibility to see that implemented projects use sound engineering practices, plant standards, specifications and the plant process control systems philosophy.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Daily process control systems support to the plant, to keep the plant process control systems operational.
- Responsible for the industrial process control systems in the plant (which includes the TDC 3000, Experion, DMC3, and RTO).
- Provide technical support on work orders written as they apply to the process control systems.
- Work with maintenance and production on reliability issues when they occur; have vision and ability to create quality solutions for any problems.
- Responsible for technical support for maintenance in existing and new system implementation by assisting in location, troubleshooting, and establishment of maintenance procedures for new or existing equipment.
- Serve as a plant expert on process control system engineering issues (not limited to risk engineering, process control system integrity, applicability to specifications, philosophies and standards). Represent the site as the subject matter expert on corporation-wide technical networks.
- Serve as mentor in the process control system engineering discipline, increasing one’s knowledge of all the systems by working closely with the others in the group.
- Stay current with new technologies that may enhance the plant's operation and reliability; reduce plant maintenance; increase production; lower the costs to operate; or increase safety and reduce environmental impact to the plant in the process control system field. Identify opportunities and develop new ideas, features and services to improve ROI, safety and reduce the impact on the environment.
- Stay current with new process control technologies; be aware of the life-cycle expectancies and vendor support periods of all the process control systems within the group. Determine the benefits of new technology and upgrades and communicate these to management with sufficient time prior to obsolescence of existing technology for management to act on this information.
- Responsible for training, education and knowledge transfer on new technologies; improvements in technology and engineering software; and process control system products related to the overall operations of the plant.
- Work with maintenance, project engineers, purchasing and key suppliers on quality, maintenance, service and cost issues of existing and new process control system software and equipment upgrades.
- Develop working relationships with other department personnel within the plant in order to seek out opportunities that will add value to each job completed.
- Lead discussions with group members to help establish and maintain process control system standards and specifications to provide reliable and consistent plant design, construction and operations.
- Provide technical support for the technical group, emphasizing process control systems philosophies, standards, safe design and installation of projects.
- Review the project process control system design scope of work definition going to the design department. Provide guidance for the plant design and drafting personnel. Provide engineering information on items that require an engineer’s input prior to passing requests to the design personnel. Review process control system design prior to construction.
- Provide technical support for Plant Projects by assisting the Plant Engineer in the determination, feasibility, costs, schedule, process control system scope of work and constraints from the conceptual phase through to final design and construction.
- Reinforce awareness of safety and environmental issues through frequent job observations and audits
Working knowledge and overall understanding of industrial process control systems (TDC 3000, Experion, Integrity, IP.21, Optimizer, DMC3, HMI web-based graphics, Windows OS, network communication and security, etc.)
Good organizational and communication skills, as well as MS Office proficiency are a must
Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work well within a team are critical.
Builds effective teams
Instills trust and exemplifies integrity
We are LyondellBasell – a leader in the global chemical industry creating solutions for everyday sustainable living. Through advanced technology and focused investments, we are enabling a circular and low carbon economy. Across all we do, we aim to champion our employees, and unlock value for customers, investors and society. LyondellBasell places high priority on diversity, equity and inclusion and is strongly committed to our planet, the communities where we operate and our future workforce. As one of the world’s largest producers of polymers and a leader in polyolefin technologies, we develop, manufacture and market high-quality and innovative products for applications ranging from sustainable transportation and food safety to clean water and quality healthcare. For more information, please visit www.lyondellbasell.com or follow @LyondellBasell on LinkedIn.