Where you fit in?
The Shell Chemicals and Products portfolio of assets is transforming into five highly integrated Energy and Chemicals Parks out of which Rheinland is a key player in the European market.
It consists of the two locations South (Wesseling) and North (Godorf) and has started a major transformation program.
The sites will be transformed from a refinery and chemical plant into a Shell Energy and Chemicals Park of the future. It fulfils and supports Shell's energy transition goals and plays an important role in the energy transition throughout Germany and particular in North-Rhine-Westfalia.
What’s the role?
You will be technologically supporting commissioning, start-up and ramp-up of our new Bio-LNG unit at our Godorf site to its full capacity.
You will pe part of a team of five unit-technologists being responsible for all process units at our Godorf site. Besides supporting the commissioning and start-up phase you will
- Support production unit to optimize unit with respect to margin, energy efficiency, yields and product quality by e.g. development and maintenance of process models
- Routinely execute long- and short-term process unit monitoring and performance optimization for various types of equipment like e.g., heat exchangers, catalysts and reactors, distillation columns and rotating equipment and develop and presents corrective actions when required.
- Improve existing and develop new aspects and tools for proper unit monitoring.
- Prevent and resolve operational and technological problems during trouble-shooting activities.
- Support economic modelling and product scheduling of this unit in close cooperation with all relevant stakeholders.
- Develop knowledge for this cryogenic process unit operation based on sound understanding of process engineering fundamentals like thermos-dynamics, energy, and mass transfer as well as fluid mechanics.
- Effectively intervene at unsafe conditions with respect to process safety as well as personal safety.
- Fully represent technology in safety or integrity reviews like ROGA (HAZOP), SIF, RHA, RBI etc.
- Collect and apply all required process safety rules and Shell engineering practices (DEPs) during design and execution of projects or small plant changes (MOC) at this unit.
- Keep all technology-owned documents like Process Flow schemes, C&E-Matrices, Safeguarding Memorandum up to date.
- Drive cost effective scope definition of turnarounds and autonomously conducts equipment inspections and efficiently interacts with all stakeholders during T/A-execution.
- Effectively communicate with stakeholders at all management levels within our Energy and Chemicals Park as well as within Shell’s Trading & Supply organization.
The role of a unit technologist is well appreciated as foundation for future personal development into other areas like e.g.
- Economics & Scheduling or
at site or globally.
In your role you will directly support Rheinland's transformation journey to a Net Zero Emission Energy and Chemicals Park. This job offers many opportunities for training either on the job, as part of dedicated teams or by special courses.
You will participate in a multi-cultural/gender team of people with varying expertise and experience. And finally, this role allows at least partly working from home and thus creates a lot of flexibility in balancing professional and private needs.
What we need from you?
We are looking for a preferably experienced process engineer with below listed competences:
- Applicant must have a Master’s- or Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Engineering, Chemistry, Physics or similar.
- Proven experience in process technology, process engineering and/or process safety is favorable.
- Expertise in the field of cryogenics or liquefaction processes or in petro-chemical industry is highly favorable.
- Having knowledge of heat exchange and rotating equipment, experience in process and equipment design and safeguarding is required.
- Written and spoken German is required for interactions with operations, at least level B1.
- Good English knowledge is necessary for communicating with our global networks and colleagues.
- Interpersonal and relationships skills in complex environments are required.
- Candidate should have demonstrated strong analytical power, communication skills, and a systematic approach to problem solving.
If you’d like to work on the energy challenges of tomorrow in one of our five global Shell Energy and Chemicals parks in Rheinland we look forward to receiving your application.
An innovative place to work
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Shell. Everyone here is helping solve one of the biggest challenges facing the world today: bringing the benefits of energy to everyone on the planet, whilst managing the risks of climate change.
Join us and you’ll add your talent and imagination to a business with the power to shape the future – whether by investing in renewables, exploring new ways to store energy or developing technology that helps the world to use energy more efficiently.
An inclusive place to work
To power progress together, we need to attract and develop the brightest minds and make sure every voice is heard. Here are just some of the ways we’re nurturing an inclusive environment – one where you can express your ideas, extend your skills and reach your potential.
- We’re creating a space where people with disabilities can excel through transparent recruitment process, workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Feel free to let us know about your circumstances when you apply and we’ll take it from there.
- We’re closing the gender gap – whether that’s through action on equal pay or by enabling more women to reach senior roles in engineering and technology.
- We’re striving to be a pioneer of an inclusive and diverse workplace, promoting equality for employees regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
- We consider ourselves a flexible employer and want to support you finding the right balance. We encourage you to discuss this with us in your application.
A rewarding place to work
Combine our creative, collaborative environment and global operations with an impressive range of benefits and joining Shell becomes an inspired career choice.
We’re huge advocates for career development. We’ll encourage you to try new roles and experience new settings. By pushing people to reach their potential, we frequently help them find skills they never knew they had, or make career moves they never thought possible.