Sr. Process Design Engineer, Gigafactory
Gigafactory Engineering is looking for an innovative senior engineer to join our Process Systems Design team. The process design team drives to create the factory of the future by bringing conceptual designs to life, producing cutting-edge detailed design of chemical and utility systems that are fully integrated with manufacturing processes.
- Apply engineering fundamentals and a broad set of process engineering tools to solve technical problems and create novel detailed designs for a wide range of systems from electrolyte to high purity water, involving unit operations such as pump and compressor systems, reverse osmosis, distillation, heat transfer fluid systems, etc.
- Provide process engineering support to operations to help resolve process bottlenecks and other long-standing issues. A successful candidate will also be expected to provide technical expertise to the engineering/design team and other groups within Tesla as a subject matter expert (SME), and to mentor less experienced engineers.
- Lead front-end process designs including the following deliverables:
- Scope development
- PFDs, P&IDs and 3D pipe design development, including pressure drop analysis.
- Specification development including equipment, piping and valve selection and sizing, material compatibility analysis, etc.
- Relief valve selection, calculations and documentation
- Sequence of operations/control philosophy development
- HAZOP/PHA development and facilitation
- Coordination with other process , mechanical, electrical and support disciplines including project managers, manufacturing reps, and other stakeholders.
- Participate in on-field construction and commissioning activities by serving as the point of contact for technical questions and real-time issue resolution.
- Interface with external Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) firms during bid and project execution phases as needed to ensure that designs and specifications meet Tesla Engineering Standards.
- Review process design work performed by others on the Process Team to ensure every design maintains the highest level of quality. Continually develop and improve upon Tesla project workflows and standards to ensure each design is consistently excellent.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering or evidence of exceptional experience.
- Candidate must have at least 7 years of experience in Process Design, Process Improvement or Operations within a high-tech industry such as semiconductor, specialty chemical, solar, battery, etc. A combination of experience with an owner operator and an EPC firm is highly desired.
- Ideal experience includes a wide variety of hands-on experience including simulation, troubleshooting, design and operation of process systems such as compressors and gas distribution, high purity water systems (RO/DI), distillation, thermal fluid systems, etc.
- Ability to adapt, multi-task and prioritize work in a fast paced environment with evolving changes in design requirements.
- Ability to interface with multiple engineering disciplines.
- Working knowledge of OSHA, ASME and the building codes.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD, Revit MEP, Navisworks, Bluebeam, Aspen Plus, Aspen HYSYS, and Pipe-Flo.
- Proficient with MS Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Desire to do the impossible with a positive and professional “never say die” attitude.
- Ability to communicate clearly and interface at an executive level.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer (PE) required.