Engineering | Seneca Falls, NY, United States
Xylem (XYL) is a leading global water technology company committed to developing innovative technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. The Company’s products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced infrastructure analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. The Company’s more than 16,500 employees bring broad applications expertise with a strong focus on identifying comprehensive, sustainable solutions. Headquartered in Rye Brook, New York with 2017 revenue of $4.7 billion, Xylem does business in more than 150 countries through a number of market-leading product brands.
The name Xylem is derived from classical Greek and is the tissue that transports water in plants, highlighting the engineering efficiency of our water-centric business by linking it with the best water transportation of all – that which occurs in nature. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
The Role: The position is accountable to Electronics Development Manager in Seneca Falls. Candidate will conduct development engineering activities at both the software and hardware level in support of both new product development and the support of product already in the field. Will design, document, test, integrate and debug software written in either low or high level languages (assembly, C, C++ Visual Basic, JAVA, etc.). iOS and Android app development experience is a plus. Will design, document and test digital and analog hardware and support that development through prototype build and test and manufacturing release. Power electronics development experience preferred. Will work effectively and cooperatively with Xylem AWS customers both internal and external to resolve existing product issues and develop enhancements as required and defined by the customer and Product Management.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Experience with writing, testing and releasing software/firmware for embedded systems.
- Use of recognized best practices for software development such as version control infrastructure, design , documentation, test, debug and integration procedures.
- Use of recognized best practice hardware development methodologies and processes such as PWB/PCB design, circuit design to automated assembly standards. Prototype build and test, manufactured parts validation and support through to product release.
- Experience with control systems design, implementation and testing.
- Experience with design and development of digital and analog electronics.
- Integration of wireless technology, devices and application
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- 7 to 10 years with BS in Electrical Engineering (BSEE/BSEET) or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written, ability to work effectively in a team environment, ability to work effectively on multiple projects.
- DSPs, microcontrollers and RISC processors, embedded architectures, embedded systems design
- Demonstrated high proficiency with common programming languages such as C, C++, Java, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of design and development of digital and analog electronics.
- Proficiency with automated electrical/electronic design tools (Altium, OrCAD, PADs, etc.)
- Working knowledge of common test and emulation tools such as MatLab, LabView etc.
- Industrial controls, analog and digital I/O, communications protocols e.g. (ModBus, BacNet, DeviceNet, Profibus, DNP, TCP/IP and wireless e.g. Bluetooth, IEEE 802.11 , Zigbee etc.)
- Application of Variable Frequency drives (VFDs) from fractional horsepower to 100KW.
- Application of induction motors in combination with VFDs from fractional horsepower to 100KW.
- Experience in power electronics design and application including VFD architectures, AC-DC converters, EMC Filters, Power Factor correction technology.
- Experience with single phase and three phase motor technologies and their association with VFDs and the application of VFD/Motor combinations in an industrial control environment.
- Experience with pumps and pumping systems.
- Experience with use and implementation of wireless communication protocols
- Practical experience with CAD tools such as ProE, Creo
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Light lifting (20-25 lbs.), office environment
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements.
- Standard weekly job hours: 40 hours
- Travel: 25%