Environment, Health & Safety Advisor (Environmental/Chemical Engineer)
The EHS advisor will be responsible for establishing, implementing, managing and continuously improving the environment, health and safety programs for the facility. The EHS Advisor will have broad knowledge of EHS compliance programs and EHS specialty areas including Industrial Safety, Occupational Hygiene, Environmental Engineering, Safety Engineering, Risk Management. The EHS advisor will provide guidance in managing budgets to support outside services and operating expenses. The role includes strategic EHS planning as well as a tactical role for site-wide EHS systems, EHS regulations, and best practices.
• Advising the site leadership team in processes to improve EHS management and performance in their areas of responsibility.
• Serve as subject matter expert and manage environmental programs/permits by executing actions for a wide range of environmental assignments involving combinations of complex features pertaining to such issues as air emissions, wastewater treatment, storm water, environmental impact analysis, hazardous and solid waste management, and resource recovery and recycling.
• Prepare and submit local, State, and other Environmental Reports to regulators and to stakeholders within GSK, ensuring site Environmental Regulatory compliance.
• Driving continuous improvement in site EHS performance and will serve as a site contact with EHS-related government agencies (e.g., PA-DEP, EPA. etc.) and with GSK’s Central EHS Department.
• Review and track investigations of injuries, illnesses, environmental releases, non-injury accidents and near-misses to ensure that they are effective, and that they identify and resolve root causes. Lead investigations into serious adverse events.
• Carry out regular workplace inspections to monitor compliance with site rules, procedures, etc
• Develop and manage an internal audit program to assess compliance with legal and company requirements and identify opportunities for improvement
• Establish site EHS policies, objectives, key performance indicators and targets that reflect local needs and alignment with GSK’s long term EHS strategy. Maintain local EHS SOPs that effectively describe the site’s EHS management system. Ensure that necessary EHS information is reported to local regulators and to stakeholders within GSK. Design, conduct and oversee EH&S training. Monitor and analyze EHS performance and initiate action to support or correct trends
• Establish programs to manage the site’s different EHS risks and impacts, coordinated within an overall EHS management system. Review change proposals (including capital projects and new product introductions) to identify potential EHS issues and participate in their resolution
• Work collaboratively with colleagues at other GSK sites in North America and around the world to ensure that EHS best practices and lessons from adverse events are shared effectively.
Duties of the position require considerable walking, climbing (e.g. ladders, platforms), prolonged standing, and crouching, while carrying sampling equipment and measuring devices. Personal protective equipment including respiratory protection qualifications must be worn occasionally to complete job duties. Occasional travel is required <5%. Ability to support a 24/7 operation and respond when necessary.
• B.S. Degree in Science, Engineering, or EHS discipline
• 3 years experience in Manufacturing Site Environmental Compliance/Permitting as well as EHS program development and implementation
• Thorough understanding of key regulatory requirements (eg OSHA, NIOSH, ANSI, NFPA, DOT, IATA, RCRA, SARA, PADEP, and EPA rules and regulations) and their application to a manufacturing environment, particularly in the following key areas:
• Environment, eg waste management, air emissions, energy efficiency
• EHS management systems.
• Certified Hazardous Material Manager (CHMM)
EHS experience in the pharmaceutical or consumer healthcare industry
Why GSK? Because GSK’s BioPharm business vision is to leverage its experience and technical capabilities to launch, supply, and manage Biopharmaceutical products around the world. It will fulfill GSK’s Mission to Do More, Feel Better, and Live Longer by living its values: Integrity: Always doing the right thing; Commitment to the Patient: Making the Patient the #1 Priority; Customer Service: Commit to delivering on promises to internal & external customers; Compliance – Being accountable for quality and safety.
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.