Process Engineer Manager
FluidOil is a UK based oil services technology company which has developed VHTL, a cost efficient and environmentally friendly solution for upgrading heavy and ultra-heavy oil. VHTL enables continuous onsite upgrading of heavy oil to light oil increasing the API by up to 15oAPI, at any scale above 1,000bpd and at a yield above 90%. The technology is modular and containerised, allowing flexible deployment thus saving on construction and decommissioning costs. It also generates significant surplus high-grade steam capable of being used for production operations or electrical generation, whilst capturing the vast majority of its emissions, thereby reducing any potential environmental impact. The product can be used as an onsite source of diluent or sold directly to a refinery. FluidOil is now working with strategic partners throughout the world to deploy this upgrading technology with a range of different oil producers from National Oil Companies to small local oil producers.
FluidOil is seeking a process engineering manager to join a global engineering and project management team as it delivers various VHTL projects and process package units around the world.
The role will be based in Basingstoke, UK but the applicant must expect frequent travelling to Mexico and must be willing to be posted for an initial 3 month placement in Mexico. The applicant must be able to speak Spanish.
The initial project will be as part of a team developing, operating and optimising a demonstration plant in Mexico. This will require an immediate 3 month posting to Mexico.
The role of a process engineering manager includes managing and leading the process design engineering as well as a more hands on role of plant operations manager. This integrated role is particularly important to FluidOil as we seek to grow our technology. Apart from work as a process engineering manager the role includes:
- Working on pilot plants to test theories and designs
- Using test data to optimise designs
- Working with client engineers to integrate systems into supply chains
- Process Package Unit commissioning
- Feedback of designs and operations
- Overall: Head of Engineering
- Day to Day: Project Manager
- Ensure that they and the Company maintain a safety-first approach to all work undertaken
- As a process engineering manager, contribute to: Process design and integration, Process optimisation, Process mapping, HAZID and HAZOP, Fabrication oversight, Process safety, Commissioning of equipment, Operations optimisation, Technology development / R&D
- Perform process engineering to develop FEED package(s) internally up to approved for design P&ID’s including basis of design, process design, PFD’s, UFD’s heat and material balances, data sheets, sized equipment list, budget quotes, bid tabulations. Safety design, HAZOP and all process areas to provide a cost estimates
- Input to project management including plans and schedules
- Perform Simulation Modelling of Units
- Undertake and verify cost estimate and development of plans for units
- Be aware and understand the company business drivers and how these can be influenced by innovated designs and minimum cost solutions
- Be conversant and knowledgeable with respect to current legislation and standards e.g. ASTM, API Codes if applicable, and develop in-house codes and standards, HS&E Regulations, EU Directives and North American Regulations
- Be compliant with the development of company engineering procedures and compliant with industry, international Codes and standards
- Operate, maintain and calibrate existing and new equipment
- Develop skills to attain charter status
- Be an active member of any team which they are assigned to
Job descriptions cannot be exhaustive; the post holder may be required to undertake other duties, which are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
FluidOil values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity.
- Previous experience of working in a process engineering manager role in the oil and gas industry.
- Minimum BSc/BEng/MEng /PhD in Chemical Engineering or similar with a 2:1 or better- Studies should have covered the following: -
- General fluid dynamics
- Fluidization system including FCC
- Oil refining or upgrading processes
- Project management techniques
- Must be able to speak Spanish
- Experience in working as a lead control system operator using LabView software. Delta-V software experience would be an asset.
- Preferably member of IChemE with desire to attain charter status
Applications are required to demonstrate that they possess at least a majority of the following experience:
- Experience in managing operations team consisting of engineers and technicians
- Experience in working as a plant control system operator using LabView software. Delta-V software experience would be an asset.
- Capable of developing process documents including P&ID’s from concept through to detailed design
- Experience in process equipment and systems design including equipment for solids handling, vessels, pumps, compressors, heat exchangers, control valves, relief & flare systems, piping, control and emergency systems
- Experience in Process simulation and process design using commercially available software
- Computer literate with Microsoft Office applications
- Literate in CAD including Autocad
- Experience in HAZOP technique and awareness of SIL/HAZID etc.
- Experience in conceptual and feasibility studies including use of technical-economic analysis to select process schemes
- Some experience in industrial processes preferably in Oil Process Design area
Applications are required to demonstrate that they possess at least a majority of the following attributes:
- A flexible and disciplined attitude to work
- Willing to work outside normal working hours
- Willing to work away from home for extended periods
- Committed to the provision of excellent technical support
- Have a creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to manage complex tasks to tight deadlines
- Ability to organize and time manage, and to be able prioritise effectively
- Excellent oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to produce professional documents and have good English writing skills
- Proficiency in other languages would be an advantage
There is a market rate salary and a performance related bonus scheme.