Senior Process Engineer
FuelCell Energy is transforming the world’s energy landscape by delivering clean and efficient solutions for the supply, recovery and storage of energy. We thrive on innovation as our fuel cell power plants provide answers to some of the industry’s biggest challenges, such as generating a virtually pollutant-free and affordable supply of electric power within cities, reducing carbon emissions from coal and gas-fired power stations, and producing hydrogen for transportation, industry and utility-scale energy storage. Our unique mission requires a diverse, energetic and creative workforce, and our shared passion for a cleaner energy future is the foundation of our Company’s culture. We take pride in what we have accomplished and are dedicated to providing innovative solutions that address energy, environmental and economic challenges for power users and communities world-wide.
With SureSource™ installations on three continents and millions of megawatt hours of ultra-clean power produced, FuelCell Energy is a global leader with environmentally responsible power solutions.
Join our team and contribute to a brighter, cleaner energy future.
We are currently seeking a highly motivated and experienced Senior Process Engineer to join the Advanced Technology team. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary team responsible for designing, building, and commissioning advanced fuel cell-based systems for power generation, hydrogen production, and carbon capture applications. The Senior Process Engineer will be responsible for all aspects of process design, with a focus on developing and implementing process control logic. This position requires flexibility to work on multiple projects, covering a range of systems and technologies, in various stages of the design or validation process.
- Develops Heat and Material Balances (H&MBs) using process simulation software tools.
- Creates and/or updates Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs) and Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs), especially with respect to process control logic.
- Specifies process equipment (including water treatment systems, pumps, heat exchangers, gas blowers, and reactors) in compliance with international codes and standards, project specifications, and general specifications prevalent in gas applications.
- Works with suppliers to select and qualify equipment/designs for fuel cell balance-of-plant systems.
- Designs and analyzes piping systems in accordance with process design requirements and industry standards.
- Specifies process instrumentation (including control valves, shut-off valves, safety valves, gas sensors, temperature/pressure/flow sensors, and other specialty components) in compliance with international codes and standards, project specifications, and general specifications prevalent in gas applications.
- Works with suppliers to select and qualify instruments for fuel cell balance-of-plant systems.
- Develops control strategies for advanced fuel cell power systems. Documents the control strategies in a Control Philosophy document, including SAMA (or equivalent) logic diagrams.
- Communicates process control strategies, using appropriate documentation, to the programming engineer.
- Supports the Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) programming engineer in implementing and/or troubleshooting control logic.
- Ensures that systems are developed in accordance with best safety practices. This includes participating in Hazard and Operability Analysis (HAZOP) reviews.
- Supports system fabrication, installation, and commissioning activities when needed to ensure proper system operation. Tunes controllers.
- Prepares technical reports and presentations to communicate designs/results to internal and external stakeholders. Assists with writing project proposals.
- Performs other duties and projects, as assigned.
- Domestic and occasional International travel required: 15%
Education: B.S. or M.S. in Chemical Engineering or related field.
Experience: 10 plus years of relevant industrial work experience in process design role.
Required Experience and Characteristics:
- Experience developing and documenting process control strategies for complex systems, including development of: Control Philosophy, alarm and protective logic, sequential and process control logic
- Experience working with PLC programmer to translate documented requirements into programming language, and
- Ability to interpret and/or create SAMA (or equivalent) logic diagrams is desired
- Experience in creating P&IDs
- Knowledgeable in specification and selection of process equipment, as listed above
- Experience specifying and selecting process control valves, including familiarity with leading suppliers
- Experience specifying and selecting temperature, pressure, and flow sensing instrumentation is desired
- Experience specifying and selecting process safety valves in accordance with API 521, or other industrial standards, is a plus
- Experience with plant commissioning and/or operations is desired
- Familiarity with Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) programming is desired, but not required
- Strong understanding of chemical engineering processes, chemical process control, chemical reactions, and thermodynamics. Knowledge and experience of electrochemistry or fuel cells/batteries is a plus.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to work effectively and openly with others, both internally and externally
- Good presentation skills to effectively communicate ideas and scientific findings
- Team player who works willingly with others and keeps a positive, goal-focused outlook when tackling challenging, time-sensitive engineering problems
- Flexible and adaptable to rapidly shift gears into multi-disciplinary roles based on current project requirements
- Ability to obtain/maintain a valid passport and travel internationally without restriction is required.
Working Environment/Working Conditions:
- Desk work using a computer.
- This position is located indoors and requires the ability to move between separated rooms within the same building.
- Occasional travel via car and/or commercial airlines.
- Occasional work outdoors in a power plant environment during commissioning activities.
See more on out website...