Manufacturing Process Development Engineer
About Our Company
FuelCell Energy is transforming the world’s energy landscape by delivering clean and efficient solutions for the supply, recovery and storage of energy. We thrive on innovation as our fuel cell power plants provide answers to some of the industry’s biggest challenges, such as generating a virtually pollutant-free and affordable supply of electric power within cities, reducing carbon emissions from coal and gas-fired power stations, and producing hydrogen for transportation, industry and utility-scale energy storage. Our unique mission requires a diverse, energetic and creative workforce, and our shared passion for a cleaner energy future is the foundation of our Company’s culture. We take pride in what we have accomplished and are dedicated to providing innovative solutions that address energy, environmental and economic challenges for power users and communities world-wide.
With SureSource™ installations on three continents and millions of megawatt hours of ultra-clean power produced, FuelCell Energy is a global leader with environmentally responsible power solutions.
Join our team and contribute to a brighter, cleaner energy future.
We are currently looking for an experienced Manufacturing Engineer who can effectively apply science to the developing field of fuel cell production and balance this with strong practical production knowledge. The ideal candidate will be highly motivated with an exceptional ability to build productive working relationships in a matrixed organization with co-workers from all areas of the company; from shop floor production to R&D.
In this role, the Manufacturing Process Development Engineer is the product expert who will drive the process of designing and developing new fuel cell components and materials in our manufacturing facility. You will be responsible for reviewing and approving design drawings, specifications, control plans, and purchased part inspection plans for manufacturing. Partnering with other members of the Value Stream Team, including quality, product, and industrial engineers, you will develop and implement process requirements to continuously improve cost, quality, production capacity, and process yields.
- Supports fuel cell component development in two areas of manufacturing: 1) powder metal processes such as spreading, filling, and sintering; and 2) assembly of fuel cell components with manual and machine assisted assembly and inspection processes in a manufacturing environment with improved defect reduction and assembly precision.
- Acts as a manufacturing liaison to Design Engineering and R&D.
- Leading new or improved fuel cell component introduction, you will be responsible for leading and participating on cross-functional teams, to solve problems and drive continuous improvement.
- Coordinates and participates in product and process development trials on the production floor while providing leadership and guidance to process operators during trials.
- Reviews and approves engineering drawings and material specifications.
- Supports the research, design, development, and implementation of new or improved manufacturing production processes including but not limited to; equipment, product design, and material supply requirements.
- Develops and implements manufacturing documentation for product design, manufacturability assessments, validation, and operator training, as required for ISO-9000 compliance.
- Manages new equipment projects from specification development through procurement, installation, and implementation.
- Supports safety assessments for furnace and assembly processing with knowledge of NFPA codes and OSHA regulations.
- Performs other duties and tasks as directed by Management
Education: BS in Engineering from an ABET accredited college or university is required. Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Material Science preferred; other types of engineering degrees will be considered depending on experience. Masters degree is a “plus”.
Experience: Minimum 5 years in a similar commercial position with equal or greater responsibilities is required with 3+ years in heat treating or other furnace process manufacturing with powder handling and/or 3+ years in semi-automated large (~2‘x4’) mechanical part assembly and inspection strongly preferred.
Skills and Experience:
- Must have the ability and desire to work in a dynamic, cross-functional production environment.
- Experience in Project Management with diverse knowledge of engineering materials and production processes preferably in a manufacturing environment that includes chemical processes, thermal processes, and mechanical assembly required.
- Must have solid understanding of Mechanical Drawings, testing, and Instrumentation.
- Experience with product risk management, FMEA, and change management strongly preferred.
- Experience with database use and knowledge of statistics to process, interpret, and summarize data strongly preferred.
- Experience in technical writing and specification development preferred.
- Experience with capital equipment procurement and implementation required.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite, MS Access, and Minitab.
- Working knowledge of Lean Manufacturing concepts, ISO9001/Quality Systems and ERP a plus.
- Able to move effectively and timely in and around 70,000+ square foot cement floored manufacturing facility
- Lifting, pushing, pulling and placement of manufacturing parts weighing 25lbs or more.
- Ability to work with, and around, chemicals, including but not limited to nickel based compounds, adhesives and solvents.
- Ability to work around furnace area with smoke, dust and heat (wearing personal protective equipment).
- Be able and willing to wear required personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses, safety shoes, and other PPE as required.
- Must be able to operate a computer keyboard and other office equipment.
- Ability to travel to other company locations as required.
See more on our website...