At ExxonMobil, our vision is to lead in energy innovations that advance modern living and a net-zero future. As one of the world’s largest publicly traded energy and chemical companies, we are powered by a unique and diverse workforce fueled by the pride in what we do and what we stand for.
The success of our Upstream, Product Solutions and Low Carbon Solutions businesses is the result of the talent, curiosity and drive of our people. They bring solutions every day to optimize our strategy in energy, chemicals, lubricants and lower-emissions technologies.
We invite you to bring your ideas to ExxonMobil to help create sustainable solutions that improve quality of life and meet society’s evolving needs. Learn more about our What and our Why and how we can work together.
Join an exciting team of multi-discipline engineers in maintaining and advancing the safety, operability, sustainability and profitability for a diverse set of manufacturing operations. Experience real life challenges associated with the design and implementation of innovative solutions to existing process control applications and operator interfaces. Opportunities include providing process control support during project development, installation, start-up and beyond.
This job is within ExxonMobil in a research and development group for pilot-scale process and product development with opportunities to collaborate across global teams, central engineering and other manufacturing sites. Work location is in the Dayawan Industrial Park, China. R&D and manufacturing can be both challenging and rewarding and we are looking for motivated individuals interested in long term careers.
• Support development of controls hardware and system design as required during detailed engineering phase of new plant project
• Write and develop controls logic and sequences for new pilot plant
• Support installation, commissioning and transition into regular operation support and continued application development for new pilot plant
• Support technologies ranging from basic regulatory control, state-based and sequential control, human-machine interface, abnormal event detection, linear and non-linear model predictive control and real time optimization
• Work closely with site personnel, process engineers and business stakeholders to identify opportunities and define scope, cost benefits and project schedule for both new and revamped applications
• Provide active technical leadership through mentoring, proactively sharing technical knowledge, influencing across organizational boundaries, implementing improvements and delivering value capture
• Be available for 24/7 off-hours callouts to address issues impacting unit production; colleagues can backfill to allow for vacations and flexibility
• Join and contribute efforts of a highly driven team of applications engineers to increase process safety, operability and profitability
• BS in Chemical Engineering preferred, MS or PHD is an advantage, a degree from another engineering or computational data science discipline is acceptable if the applicant can demonstrate a solid understanding of process control principles and unit operations
• Proficiency in English, the primary language utilized on site
• Greater than 3 years of practical experience designing and implementing effective control automation, abnormal event detection, modeling and or optimization applications in support of refining or petrochemical manufacturing facilities through experiences including monitoring, troubleshooting, asset support, projects and turnarounds
• Demonstrated understanding of fundamental chemical engineering principles, process dynamics and feedback control in plant with continuous and or batch operations basic understanding of instrument measurements, analyzers and other sensors
• Demonstrated capability to perform responsibilities above immediately on Experion PKS / TDC3000 platform is required; helpful experience on other platforms may include: Centum VP, DeltaV, System 800xA, SIMATIC PCS 7, PlantPAx, etc.) or SCADA (Ignition, OASyS / IRIS, etc.
• Demonstrated capability with at least one other software platform used for advanced control, simulation, modeling or optimization. Examples include: multivariable model predictive control, steady-state simulation, dynamic simulation, real- time optimization, or software used for open equation modeling or non-linear programming / control
• Demonstrated skills in legacy and modern programming languages (Visual Basic, Matlab, Python, SQL, etc.) and/or data analytics and visualization tools (SeeQ, JMP, Tableau, PowerBl) is beneficial
• In addition to strong technical background in advanced process control and optimization, successful candidates will demonstrate innovative thinking, strong initiative, and exemplary communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with peers, across organizational boundaries, and in diverse and globally dispersed teams
• Demonstrated ability to handle multiple priorities and stakeholders and be able to influence and promote change to achieve desired results with no direct authority
• Demonstrated ability as a formal or informal leader and mentor
Learn more at our website
ExxonMobil is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship status, protected veteran status, genetic information, or physical or mental disability.
Nothing herein is intended to override the corporate separateness of local entities. Working relationships discussed herein do not necessarily represent a reporting connection, but may reflect a functional guidance, stewardship, or service relationship.
Exxon Mobil Corporation has numerous affiliates, many with names that include ExxonMobil, Exxon, Esso and Mobil. For convenience and simplicity, those terms and terms like corporation, company, our, we and its are sometimes used as abbreviated references to specific affiliates or affiliate groups. Abbreviated references describing global or regional operational organizations and global or regional business lines are also sometimes used for convenience and simplicity. Similarly, ExxonMobil has business relationships with thousands of customers, suppliers, governments, and others. For convenience and simplicity, words like venture, joint venture, partnership, co-venturer, and partner are used to indicate business relationships involving common activities and interests, and those words may not indicate precise legal relationships.