Founded in 1920, Eastman is a global specialty materials company that produces a broad range of products found in items people use every day. With the purpose of enhancing the quality of life in a material way, Eastman works with customers to deliver innovative products and solutions while maintaining a commitment to safety and sustainability. The company’s innovation-driven growth model takes advantage of world-class technology platforms, deep customer engagement, and differentiated application development to grow its leading positions in attractive end-markets such as transportation, building and construction, and consumables. As a globally inclusive and diverse company, Eastman employs approximately 14,500 people around the world and serves customers in more than 100 countries. The company had 2022 revenues of approximately $10.6 billion and is headquartered in Kingsport, Tennessee, USA. For more information, visit www.eastman.com.
The TCO Manufacturing Staff Engineer is the key technical resource in the Manufacturing department and is responsible for providing daily support to optimize Acetic Acid production and to ensure safe and effective plant operation in an environmentally conscious manner. Responsibility may cover areas such as Utilities, Material Handling, PZ168, and Acetic Acid.
The Manufacturing Staff Engineer will lead process-troubleshooting initiatives, track unit performance, set operating targets, guidelines, and instructions for unit operators, support the unit quality program, drive plant optimization, and process improvement projects in coordination with the Engineering and Maintenance departments. As a member of the Manufacturing team, the Manufacturing Staff Engineer will support the site’s PSM program, demonstrates a commitment to HSES, and promotes a high-performance team environment. This position reports to the Area Manager of Manufacturing for the Texas City site.
• Positively influence people development and institutionalization of Eastman core values
• Model safe behaviors and always adheres to Basic Safety Expectations
• Support and aid on Essential Operating Disciplines (EODs) compliance for unit operators and SPLs
• Promote institutionalization of Eastman Operational Excellence in Manufacturing at TCO
• Continuous improvement
• Safe, reliable operations
• Knowledge capture and transfer
• Manage technical program for area of responsibility
• Develop mutually beneficial administrative and technical relationship with business partners onsite
• Define and implement plans for needed changes and improvement projects in the areas of safety, quality, reliability and cost
• Define and forecast required capital for improving safety, reliability and capability of assigned units
• Identify process bottlenecks and develop projects to provide incremental capacity increases
• Manage day-to-day operations
• Provide daily technical support to optimize manufacturing unit and ensure safe plant operation
• Lead problem-troubleshooting initiatives
• Provide knowledge transfer of process safety, operational technology, and applicable plant experience to Team Managers, Shift Process Leaders, and Operators
• Lead / participate in incident investigations, Management of Change (MOC), Process Hazard Analysis (PHA), Layers of Protection Analysis (LOPA), general process safety reviews, and audits
• B.S. Degree in Chemical Engineering
• Minimum three (3) years of experience in chemical manufacturing process
• This role requires a high level of motivation and drive for excellence
• Must be able to function with high autonomy within designated boundaries
• Demonstrated effective skills in communication (verbal and written), problem solving, decision making, and operational planning
• Ability to manage multiple priorities concurrently
• Proven ability to deliver results in a team environment
• Cooperative manner, capable of effective interfacing at all levels within the organization
• Detailed knowledge of chemical plant process equipment and operation
• Familiarity with Management of Change (MOC), Root Cause Analysis (RCA), and Process Safety Management (PSM)
• Familiarity with common industry software applications such as Process Simulation Tools, Aspen Process Explorer, PI Process Book, PI Vision
• Windows operating system and advanced working knowledge of Excel
• Six Sigma or Statistical process improvement skills preferred
• Must possess or obtain a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) card prior to first day of employment
• Must be legally authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship (U.S. citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident)
At Eastman, the safety of our employees, visitors, and the communities in which we operate is a core value of our culture. We must remember that we earn the right to operate in our communities, and we always want to send our fellow team members home safely. All team members must commit to:
• Operating with a zero-incident mindset and always take time to do the job safely. Never executing an activity that does not follow procedure or cannot be done safely.
• Stopping any process or work that is deemed unsafe.
• Following all procedures and training that have been established in designated work areas and raising concerns if there is not a way to follow procedures as currently written.
• Following the Eastman Life Critical Processes and Basic Safety Expectations.
• Actively identifying and eliminating hazards in the workplace and watching out for the safety of co-workers.
• Always using appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) as it applies to the job and specific tasks.
• Reporting all job-related injuries or illnesses and near-miss incidents in a timely manner.
Eastman Chemical Company is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.
Eastman is committed to creating a powerfully diverse workforce and a broadly inclusive workplace, where everyone can contribute to their fullest potential each day.