Located in La Porte, TX, the role of Environmental Engineer – Unit Contact will be responsible for providing multi-media environmental support to Syngas and Methanol production units with a strong emphasis on Texas and Federal air regulations.
• This Environmental Unit Contact role is a single point of contact to provide guidance on compliance with air, waste and water regulations and permits to Operations, Technical and Maintenance teams who support manufacturing units.
• Work with operating, technical, maintenance and reliability disciplines in identifying and resolving threats to environmental compliance in unit.
• Partner with Air Permit program owner in obtaining air permit amendments, PBR’s, Standard Permits for the unit by supplying needed information, identifying permitting opportunities and developing permit strategies.
• Ensure water permit samples are obtained and threats to water compliance are identified and mitigated.
• Participate in unit morning production update meetings.
• Lead Environmental Audits in unit as needed.
• Complete environmental review and approval step of Management Of Change process.
• Ensure waste management procedures in unit are being followed and the site waste engineer is aware of changes to waste generation or management in unit.
• Walk through unit and utility areas routinely to identify compliance concerns and to develop strong working relationships with operators and contractors.
• On a monthly basis ensure air emissions are calculated and compliance records are reviewed and maintained.
• Complete weekly review of HSE incidents in incident tracking database and ensure Title V deviations are identified and properly classified and ensure any emission events have proper records in place.
• Respond to agency requests for information as needed.
• Prepare and submit the following reports for Syngas and Methanol units: Semi-annual Title V deviation reports, NSPS Db, HON, Boiler MACT. Also, develop deep knowledge of HON, NSPS Db, 30TAC115 and 30TAC117 and certain engine rules as they apply to sources in assigned units.
• Serve in On-Call rotation for environmental release reporting making agency notifications for release events.
• Ensure requirements in Agreed Orders or Consent Decrees are effectively implemented by deadlines.
• Represent the site in trade organizations and best practice groups.
• Identify, initiate and develop projects that improve environmental performance.
• Review environmental performance data each month with Operations and Technical managers and initiate continuous improvement activities.
• Occasionally present HSE topics to new employees and unit personnel as needed.
• Develop Environmental portion of Turnaround HSE plans for Syngas/Methanol units.
• Provide inputs for HSE budget for environmental expenses in operating area.
• Lead or participate in HSE incident investigations.
• Help develop more junior environmental staff through offering guidance on technical issues, providing peer review of documents and mentoring.
• Four year applicable Engineering or Science degree.
• Minimum of 10 years of environmental experience working in a petrochemical manufacturing facility or refinery. Syngas or Methanol plant experience a plus.
• Deep knowledge in air quality regulations and their application in petrochemical facilities.
• Demonstrated experience interacting with a regulatory agency.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate at all levels of the organization.
• Must be organized and meticulous at documenting and recordkeeping.
• Ability to understand petrochemical processes and equipment, base knowledge of chemistry and math.
• Microsoft Suite skills with an emphasis in Excel.
• Have the ability to organize and prioritize work, facilitate meetings, give presentations and have strong aptitude to utilize technology to bring efficiency to the compliance management systems.
• Must be able to establish long-range plans with interim milestones for deliverables on projects.
• Be able to foresee problems, identify proactive measures that can be taken and have the capability to plan the work and execute the work.
• Own decisions and outcomes.
• Must be able to work as part of a team.
• Provide great customer service to internal and external customers.
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB): As a leader in the global chemical industry, LyondellBasell strives every day to be the safest, best operated and most valued company in our industry. The company’s products, materials and technologies are advancing sustainable solutions for food safety, access to clean water, healthcare and fuel efficiency in more than 100 international markets. LyondellBasell places high priority on diversity, equity and inclusion and is Advancing Good with an emphasis on our planet, the communities where we operate and our future workforce. The company takes great pride in its world-class technology and customer focus. LyondellBasell has stepped up its circularity and climate ambitions and actions to address the global challenges of plastic waste and decarbonization. For more information, please visit www.lyondellbasell.com or follow @LyondellBasell on LinkedIn.
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.