03 May, 2023
Johnson & Johnson
Shenzhen, Guangdong Province, China
Biochemicals / Pharmaceuticals
- Participates in the local cross-functional operational governance process that prioritizes projects across quality, delivery, and cost, assigns cross-functional resources for execution, and provides updates on assigned projects against commitments. Capable of leading in the absence of technical management as necessary.
- Leads and/or participates in a wide range of technical projects from the large and complex to smaller activities and tasks, utilizing appropriate Project Management / FPx tools and Six Sigma / Process Excellence tools. Provides guidance and direction to more junior engineers and integrates contracted and other resources. Delivers, through cross-functional coordination, not only the direct technical project activities but also all related regulatory, clinical, marketing, and other actions required to bring the project to market (e.g. a strong end-to-end mindset).
- Leads and/or participates in complex quality and failure investigations involving raw material suppliers or external manufacturers, partnering with the appropriate cross-functional resources and subject matter expertise as required, to identify root cause and implement corrective action. Communicates updates and progress and escalates appropriately.
- Provides guidance and input to leadership as it relates to the ability of external suppliers to maintain adequate capacity to support the demand forecast. Anticipates future constraints and raises, gains approval, and executes activities in advance of any constraints to ensure continuity of supply to customers.
- Employs their detailed knowledge of technical skills such as plastic injection molding, silicone extrusion, machining, casting, stamping, ultrasonic welding and other joining processes, testing, LEAN/Six Sigma tools and related statistical techniques, and other engineering skills to constantly identify, raise, gain approval, and execute, in collaboration with external and internal partners, project that deliver improvement opportunities within the raw material supply chain against targets.
- Leads and/or participates in design changes to existing components and sub-assemblies, in partnership with appropriate design resources supporting lifecycle activities. Partners with R&D to delivery new product introductions, with attention to DFM/A, V&V activities, and pFMEA’s/control plans, ensuring the receipt of a stable and capable process into sustaining engineering on-going lifecycle technical support.
- Leads and/or participates in external supplier projects across multiple manufacturing sites beyond Milpitas, Ca where common supply streams exist. Capable of engaging with cross-functional resources remotely and across time zones, cultures, and functions to deliver project objectives.
- As necessary, capable of managing all aspects of limited number of direct report resources and contractors assigned to the technical team, providing mentorship, guidance, and accountability.
- Cultivates deep and meaningful relationships for key cross-functional partners including peers in Procurement, Supplier Quality, PLAN, and design, as well as a wide array of extended partners (e.g. plant quality and engineering, regulatory, operations, etc.) to deliver results and solutions, manage risks, and react to issues on assigned projects and activities.
- Maintains and expands personal technical knowledge and skills across multiple process, materials, engineering technologies, and manufacturing techniques to successfully lead a wide array of technical projects and activities.
- Manages the budget for all assigned projects from need identification and justification, through aCAR generation and approval, asset delivery, asset installation & V&V, supplier payment, documentation closeout, and capture of any related savings.
- Maintains relationships with other JJSV Supplier Manufacturing engineers/P.M.’s as well as other JJSV functions to engage subject matter expertise on assigned projects as required. Connects with J&J and other medical industry technical communities to leverage best practices, engage SME skill sets, and stay informed of appropriate technology road maps. Represents a strong technical voice to the regional J&J and sub-tier suppliers in support of U.S.-based leadership.
- Ensures that JJSV Supplier Manufacturing Engineering leadership is appraised of all aspects of assigned supplier projects and other activities as risk, issues, urgency, and progress dictate.
- Fluent in English with the ability to interact remotely and in-person with various worldwide cultures.
- A minimum of a BS degree (or equivalent) in a technical discipline. An advanced degree is preferred. A professional engineering certification is preferred.
- 7-10+ years of relevant experience (10-15+ years is preferred), depending upon the level of position (level 26, 30, or 31).
- Demonstrated technical project management skills and experience (PMP/PMI certification, FPx certification, or equivalent preferred).
- Demonstrated Six Sigma / Process Excellence / LEAN skills and related statistical tool usage (Belt Certification preferred).
- Significant experience in plastic injection molding processes, materials, part/tool design and systems, metrology equipment and inspection systems, GD&T, and related skills and technologies is required.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly and concisely communicate across multiple organizational levels and functions, directly and remotely, and across global cultures.
- Some level of people management skills through either direct reporting relationships or project management relationships.
- Experience in a production environment and experience in a regulated medical industry and all related competencies (e.g. GMP, compliance, processes, etc.) is preferred.
- Local, regional, and international travel is possible. The frequency of travel will increase significantly if based outside of Ganzhou (Jiangxi), China, which could extend for certain projects and time periods of up to as much as 50%.