We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized as a 2020 Best Employer for Diversity by Forbes. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Operations Engineer (2002709) – Seneca, SC
Where the Chemistry Happens
BASF's Catalysts division, headquartered in Iselin, New Jersey, is the world's leading supplier of environmental and process catalysts. The group employs more than 5,000, with over 30 manufacturing sites worldwide.
As a global division of BASF SE, Ludwigshafen, Germany, Catalysts offers exceptional expertise in the development of technologies that protect the air we breathe, produce the fuels that power our world and ensure efficient production of a wide variety of chemicals, plastics and other products including advanced battery materials.
The Seneca, SC Plant is a specialty chemical catalysts manufacturing and precious metals refining facility. The Operations Engineer is responsible for supporting the daily operations of their assigned production area.
In this role, you will support the day to day operation of your assigned production area, providing technical assistance in executing the required production plan. You will own Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s), Equipment Procedures (EP’s) and Batch Instructions, lead troubleshooting efforts, and interact with Operations, Maintenance, and other operational support personnel. You will generate and complete MOCs and provide operational forecasts to other business units to enable transparency and commercial decision making.
Additionally, you will support Capital Planning and Project Execution as Manufacturing Representative, Manage the material backlog, and provide production plans to Operations. Using Lean / Six Sigma tools, you will deliver process improvements in quality, productivity, cost and environmental compliance while also demonstrating strong leadership in safe plant operation and adherence to BASF Occupational and Process Safety rules and policies. You will be instrumental in leading troubleshooting efforts when problems arise and are a solution provider. This position requires strong leadership in safety and Behavioral Based Safety processes which support the BASF Journey to EHS Excellence. On-call responsibility is required for response to any after hour event that impacts production or EHS.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Formula for Success
· Leveraging your previous experience in a chemical/refining or similar manufacturing environment, you will provide technical support and troubleshooting expertise to Daily Operational Team for plant problems that occur and will closely monitor the process conditions and provide technical support and feedback to the Operations team.
· Your understanding of engineering principles and their practical application in a plant environment will aid your role in driving standardization across shifts and optimization of operating costs; partner with other site/area functions for standardization and best practice sharing across the site.
· Leveraging your strong communication skills across all levels, you will work closely with other support groups like Maintenance to ensure that proper priorities are placed on items in the Maintenance backlog and will interface with suppliers, customers, and vendors as needed to maintain plant operation.
· Your demonstrated experience with continuous improvement and change management initiatives will drive your leadership in root cause failure analysis for production, EHS, and quality Incidents
· Utilizing your basic familiarity with process equipment operation including boilers, gas fired furnaces, solids handling and milling equipment, powder blending/sampling, chemical reactors, extruders, etc., you will support BASF metal control practices to ensure customer lot integrity and to minimize precious metal loss.
· Your understanding of manufacturing operations and equipment will drive the optimization of scheduled and unscheduled downtime and overall cycle time improvements (Asset Effectiveness and AE tools) and will allow you to assist the department in the coordination, planning, and execution of shutdown or turnaround work including maintenance and capital activities.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
BASF provides interesting and challenging learning and development opportunities to help you make the most of your talents and your job.