About this Job:
We invite you to help us shape the future of agriculture. At Syngenta, we believe every employee has a role to play in safely feeding the world and taking care of our planet. To support that challenge, the Process Technology Group is currently seeking a Chemical Engineer co-op in St. Gabriel, LA.
As a co-op at Syngenta, you will have the opportunity to work in the demanding world of a large chemical production facility, and work on real projects, finding real solutions. You will be part of a unit team supporting one of the various operating units at the Site, working alongside some of the brightest minds in the industry.
Work with us and you’ll get:
- Competitive wages
- Ongoing career development resources
- The opportunity to work on meaningful, innovative projects that solve problems
- A culture that celebrates diversity & inclusion, promotes professional development, and offers flexible work options to meet both your work and personal needs
Estimated Duration: April 2023 – August 2023
- Perform various tasks that support the Process Technology Group such as: production process development, process improvement, process modeling, unit operation sizing, cycle time analysis, project development and personnel development/training
- 80% of work will be performed in an office setting: Sending emails, working in excel files, using modeling software, contacting vendors, drafting reports, etc.
- 20% of work will be performed in an operations setting: collecting data from the shop floor, participating in plant tier, etc.
What you must have:
- A High School Diploma or equivalent
- Enrollment in a Bachelor’s or Advanced Degree in Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering or Industrial Engineering
- Good academic standing with the university, with a minimum 2.5 GPA overall/major
- Relevant core basic science/engineering classes through Sophomore level: (i.e. – Physics, Chemistry, Calculus, and Heat and Mass balances)
- Fluent in English
- Prefer a student with Junior or Senior standing
- Communication -The ability to communicate information well (both written and spoken) is highly desired in this position
- Collaboration -The ability to work with individuals who come from diverse backgrounds
- Autonomous - An independent individual who is self-motivating and needs little supervision
- Detail/Accuracy Oriented - All procedures and policies must be understood and followed
- Ability to apply a systemic approach to problem solving
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of Heat and Mass Transfer
- Knowledge of Mass and Energy Balances
- Knowledge of Aspen Plus
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission's (EEOC)
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)
As a world market leader in crop protection, we help farmers to counter these threats and ensure enough safe, nutritious, affordable food for all – while minimizing the use of land and other agricultural inputs. Syngenta Crop Protection keeps plants safe from planting to harvesting. From the moment a seed is planted through to harvest, crops need to be protected from weeds, insects and diseases as well as droughts and floods, heat and cold. Syngenta Crop Protection is headquartered in Switzerland.