Baker Engineering and Risk Consultants, Inc. (BakerRisk®), a technology leader in assessing the consequences and risks associated with potentially catastrophic events including explosions, fires and toxic material releases. BakerRisk uses the most advanced methodologies and tools to predict potential consequences, providing services to industrial companies and government organizations around the world.
BakerRisk is currently seeking a Process Controls & Safety Consultant to assist with SIS, F&G, and HAC studies.
The applicant will be working on multiple projects related to process controls and safety. The primary role for this applicant is the following:
- Lead instrumentation and controls efforts at BakerRisk’s test site to perform controlled dispersion and jet fire tests by researching and implementing new instrumentation and control strategies. This role involves working with BakerRisk test manager, program manager and other testing groups. This is a hands-on role requiring person to be onsite during setup and performing tests for clients and internal groups. The key requirements include being able to program Allen Bradley PLCs, FactoryTalk HMI and have knowledge of networking and troubleshooting instrumentation, preferably in a test setup.
- Work under the supervision of a licensed PE or be able to lead design efforts for gas detection control panel. This will require interfacing with multiple building construction groups including Mechanical, Electrical and Controls. This role is part of BakerRisk’s subsidiary Fortress Protective Buildings (FPB) and requires knowledge of control panel design, various gas detection systems and the ability to interface with client’s DCS through different protocols like Modbus. The applicant will be required to support Factory Acceptance Test (FAT) at vendor site, as well as Site Acceptance Test (SAT) and commissioning efforts at client sites.
- Additional responsibilities may include supporting reliability studies for processing plants worldwide and assisting clients with design recommendations to reduce risk. The applicant will be working with design teams to develop solutions using their knowledge of instrumentation and controls to help advance process safety. This could include means like Safety Instrumented System (SIS), Fire and Gas Detection Systems, Hazardous Area Classification and others. Ability to adapt to various needs from internal and external clients to support the needs of frequency and risk analysis solutions.
- Ability to learn BakerRisk’s consequence tools SafeSite3G© and QRATool© and help perform consequence modeling studies for clients. This is a multi-faceted position for someone with ability to learn quickly and be able to multi-task.
Qualified candidates should meet or exceed the following requirements:
- B.S. Degree in Electrical, Chemical, Mechanical engineering or equivalent technical degree
- Minimum of 3 years operating plant experience
- Experience in plant controls (DCS and/or SIS) implementation and application
- Experience in instrumentation specification and reliability
- Direct experience with Allen Bradley PLCs
- Prior experience in Hazardous Area Classification (HAC) implementation or understanding of HAC drawings
- Strong communication/inter-personal skills - able to inspire and encourage the use of best practices at plant sites, able to communicate with plant staff, management, and regulatory agencies.
- Ability to work efficiently in a multi-disciplined, cross-functional environment.
- Ability to plan/organize tasks and consistently produce results with minimal supervision.
- Ability to comprehend, analyze, and understand the legal aspects of legislation and develop compliance programs to decrease facility process safety liabilities and reduce process risks
- Prior experience working with fire and gas detectors
- Worked in a test or pilot plant group with ability to adapt to changes quickly
BakerRisk offers a competitive salary and benefit package including holiday, vacation and sick leave pay, medical/dental insurance, retirement savings plan, and potential for a year-end bonus.
BakerRisk is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants receive equal consideration, regardless of their race, color, religion, age, gender, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other protected status. BakerRisk and its affiliated companies are drug-free workplaces.