The Product Application Development (PAD) Manager is responsible for directing a technical team including engineers and researchers to deliver on business unit goals in the areas of product and application development and process development. The position works closely with multiple internal and external stakeholders to define and execute business strategies, create innovative products to support business growth and profitability, and support asset optimization efforts while also managing the communication between the multidisciplinary interfaces to ensure alignment and seamless coordination of interdependencies.
Success in this role will mean leading the team to safely driving cost discipline in optimization of existing technologies, while delivering new technologies aligned with market trends to build long term competitive advantage, industry leading EBITDA performance, and facilitating LyondellBasell’s leadership position in the industry.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Manage EP team in accordance with GoalZero HSE and Operational Excellence requirements. Create a motivated, proactive, efficient workforce based on the culture and values of the organization while facilitating a safe, rewarding and inclusive work environment without bias.
- Interface with New Business Development and Market Manager to plan, prepare, implement and lead technical product/application development projects and goals in line with segment needs, industry trends and business strategy.
- Understand broader customer, market and industry needs / trends. Facilitate the group’s interaction with other cross functional organizations to frame these into value added opportunities. Maintain key customer/supplier/vendor relationships required to support business strategy.
- Manage fixed costs of team actively and ensure annual budget is not exceeded
- Provide support to production sites at Evansville (3), Carpentersville and Bedford and prepare scale up of developments by MPC´s. Work closely with all laboratories to ensure team needs and data accuracy.
- Support both customer and internal complaint analysis for EP product line.
- Ensure the proper management of project portfolio according IATF 16949 by using GIGP procedure and Accolade database. Ensure technical coherence and alignment with business strategy
- Coordination of basic research for EP. Initiation of new innovative projects also with business partners, external institutes and universities and stimulate technical competitive knowledge within the team
- Provide global support on innovation and new technologies or methods. Transfer of new developed products to other regions, mainly Asia and Europe and South America
- Define and implement cost saving measures on formulations and raw material portfolio, regarding deployed resources and in coordination with procurement
- Frequent important trade shows/conferences and give relevant presentations/papers
- Degreed in Polymer Science, Polymer Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science, or related engineering degree.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in product and application development of Engineered Plastics (EP) targeting transportation, consumer and industrial markets with experience/expertise in one or more of the following product lines: Flame Retardant Compounds, Polyamide (PA), Polycarbonate (PC), Styrenics (ABS, ASA), Polyesters (PET, PBT).
- Applications experience or high competency in major plastics conversion processes such as compounding, extrusion, injection molding, blow molding, and others.
- Knowledgeable of polymer structure and product property relationship as well as formulation strategies for compounded products.
- Ph.D in Polymer Science, Polymer Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Materials Science or related engineering degree.
- Direct EP market experience in technical business development, strategic project portfolio management and/or application development management.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience leading a technical team.
#LI-MK2 | #LI-Hybrid
Builds effective teams
Instills trust and exemplifies integrity
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB): As a leader in the global chemical industry, LyondellBasell strives every day to be the safest, best operated and most valued company in our industry. The company’s products, materials and technologies are advancing sustainable solutions for food safety, access to clean water, healthcare and fuel efficiency in more than 100 international markets. LyondellBasell places high priority on diversity, equity and inclusion and is Advancing Good with an emphasis on our planet, the communities where we operate and our future workforce. The company takes great pride in its world-class technology and customer focus. LyondellBasell has stepped up its circularity and climate ambitions and actions to address the global challenges of plastic waste and decarbonization. In 2022, LyondellBasell was named as one of FORTUNE Magazine's "World's Most Admired Companies" for the fifth consecutive year. For more information, please visit www.lyondellbasell.com or follow @LyondellBasell on LinkedIn.