The Process Development Engineer will support process optimization activities at the Johnson Matthey West Deptford Refining and Chemicals plant, using chemistry and chemical engineering principles to improve process safety, increase yields, minimize waste, and maximize throughput while ensuring consistent product quality. The incumbent will be responsible for the improvement of existing processes and implementation of new processes and innovative technology. The role requires a hands-on approach to problem solving with time split between plant support and laboratory work.
- Provide support to production groups as necessary to troubleshoot issues and meet all production/customer commitments.
- Carry out laboratory experiments and collect/analyse data to understand reaction chemistry and optimize critical reaction parameters.
- Identify and initiate process changes to improve safety, yields, and efficiency of operations.
- Update procedures for existing processes and write procedures for new processes.
- Complete projects by commissioning and optimizing the processes and/or equipment, and once completed, train operators on how to run the process safely
- Prepare drawings of reaction systems and document all aspects of the system designs, control systems, and suitable instrumentation required for the process.
- Follow established Process Safety and EHS policies including Management of Change and Process Hazard Analyses (PHAs).
- Participate in PHAs and manage associated actions to improve process safety.
Are you the ideal candidate?
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry or similar required
- Zero to three plus years of experience in engineering in a chemical process environment required
- Precious metal industry experience highly preferred
- Must be able to understand basic chemistry principles
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office
- Must have good communication skills, including written, verbal and the ability to successfully conduct technical presentations