Johnson Matthey are currently recruiting for a Chemical engineer to work within a small multi-disciplinary team our new mini-plant facility in Cambridge. Experienced in process safety and technology transfer from lab to plant.
Johnson Matthey (‘JM’) is a global leader in sustainable technologies and many of the company’s products enhance the quality of life of millions through their beneficial impact on the environment, human health and wellbeing. We focus on key markets where we can innovate and improve solutions for our customers through applying our expertise in advanced materials and technology. We have operations in over 30 countries and employ over 14,000 people worldwide.
• Working with the Chemistry Development Team to ensure the safe and robust transfer of lab-scale processes to batch mini-plant.
• To provide engineering input/ advice into process scale-up
• Carrying out process safety evaluations following development scale investigations in readiness for scale-up
• Carrying out engineering calculations as required for process safety and equipment usage/ modification
• Participation in hazard studies for chemical processes and equipment installation
• Preparing and reviewing operating procedures for new mini-plant and associated equipment
• Hands on laboratory-scale experimentation
• Preparation and review of process documentation for catalyst and ligand manufacture
• Hands on operation of mini-plant from 10L to 100L scale
• Working with the Kilo-Lab team to develop new meso-scale continuous flow manufacturing processes.
• Reporting to the Kilo Lab team leader working as a key member of a small multi-disciplinary team.
• To other duties which are within the employee’s skills and abilities whenever reasonably instructed.
Person specification Qualifications/ knowledge/ experience
• (Technical/ professional knowledge and skills competency)
• Chartered Engineer
• High level of laboratory safety awareness
• Strong practical understanding of chemical process safety• Familiarity with hands on chemistry in a pilot plant environment
• Strong understanding of EHS considerations at pilot plant scale Trained in HAZOP procedures
• Proficient in Microsoft Visio and AutoCad
• Demonstrates a strong interest in innovative processing methods • Proficient in preparing piping and instrumentation diagrams for new equipment and updating drawings for modifications to existing equipment
• Experience of Kilo Lab operations would be an advantage • Hands on experience with calorimetry• Post-graduate experience with designing and building meso-scale continuous rigs is a plus
• Experience in carrying out equipment modifications and installation of new equipment