The Senior Process Engineer provides day-to-day technical expertise for the polymer manufacturing processes at the Cooper River site. The successful candidate will serve as a member of a collaborative, empowered team of engineers and Operator/Mechanics who ensure safe, sustainable, and efficient production of low cost, high quality products. This role is an integral contributor to the product line network across not only Operations, but also multiple facets of the business platform, from raw materials and Sourcing to R&D, Marketing / Sales, and Supply Chain.
- Serve as the primary Process Technology Operations Resource to the team of Operator/Mechanics who operate the polymer processes on a 24/7 basis under a High-Performance Work System (HPWS) empowered team model to meet goals in the areas of Environmental/Health/Safety (EHS), Sustainability, Quality, Productivity, and Reliability.
- Apply influential leadership skills to train, coach, and mentor operations team members in Process Technology, equipment, and process automation technology practices.
- Coach and develop others in advanced troubleshooting skills and ensure learnings are documented in plant Operating Discipline/troubleshooting guides.
- Champion and support operations team in the development and usage of plant Operating Discipline including changes, periodic reviews, and approvals.
- Own and maintain process-related Key Process Indicators (KPIs) to ensure optimum performance and achievement of goals.
- Perform periodic EHS-related tasks and first-party audits required to maintain compliance with regulatory, corporate and plant standards.
- Lead and participate in Root Cause Investigations (RCIs) of unplanned events and implement effective corrective/preventative actions to prevent recurrence.
- Lead/participate in the execution and advancement of Process Safety Management (PSM) practices, including Process Hazards Analysis (PHA) teams and auditing.
- Execute change management processes for equipment and process improvements (process change requests, change of design, raw material qualifications, etc.).
- Respond urgently to plant issues and emergencies where technical expertise may be needed.
- Serve as a point of contact to the Shift Operations Team for unresolved technical issues during off-hours (nights and weekends) and holidays as needed.
- Lead/participate on teams to upgrade processes and products ranging from incremental improvements to major technology changes.
- Network with other senior technical expertise across product lines / internal businesses to leverage experience, ensure sustained process technology and PSM foundations, and drive continuous growth and improvement for the benefit of the company.
The Cooper River polymerization assets produce a broad range of specialized high-value products, such as Hytrel® thermoplastic polyester elastomer and Crastin® polybutylene terephthalate (PBT) for a variety of markets and industrial applications, including automotive and transportation, footwear and apparel, Our business is dedicated to growth through product innovation and customer partnership, executed with a strong focus on our core values of safety, sustainability, respect for people, and business ethics.
- B.S. or higher in Chemical Engineering from ABET-accredited university, with 3.0 minimum overall GPA or higher.
- Demonstrated proficiency to work safely and effectively as a process engineer in a manufacturing environment ( >7 years industrial experience).
- Higher experience levels are encouraged to apply; job level / work scope and compensation offered to be commensurate with depth of experience and capabilities.
- Broad-based knowledge of polymer process engineering, which can include: chemical reactors, distillation, heat transfer, mass transfer, reaction kinetics, thermodynamics, filtration, casting, extrusion, cutting, drying and bulk solids handling, mixing and packaging.
- Capability in batch and continuous processes, potentially including recycle loops.
- Ability to assimilate the unit operation information into actions that positively impact important criteria such as process safety, product yield and quality, cycle time, asset uptime and capacity.
- Knowledge of process modeling software (e.g., Aspen).
- Experience with Process Safety Management system requirements, including process technology management/documentation, operating discipline procedures and practices, and Management of Change.
- PHA (Process Hazards Analysis) and/or Layers of Protection Analysis (LOPA) knowledge, especially as a leader or contributing team member.
- Demonstrated experience in developing a design basis and technology requirements for capital project level process improvement.
- Multivariate testing / Six Sigma certification and/or similar data-based decision process knowledge is a plus.
- Good written, oral communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated with strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrate strong respect and trust of operations team by establishing positive, collaborative, professional relationships in the pursuit of achieving business and plant goals and objectives.
- Possess strong sense of ownership and accountability.
- Possess strong support and development of a High Performance Work System (HPWS) culture.
- Proven troubleshooting / problem-solving skills.
- Ability to learn and work independently.
- Ability to work with others involved in a variety of functions, including operators, mechanics, engineers of various disciplines, management, and other leaders.
- Ability to translate needs/opportunities and communicate effectively across all functions and levels.
DuPont is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or any other protected class. If you need a reasonable accommodation to search or apply for a position, please visit our Accessibility Page for Contact Information.