Founded in 1920, Eastman is a global specialty materials company that produces a broad range of products found in items people use every day. With the purpose of enhancing the quality of life in a material way, Eastman works with customers to deliver innovative products and solutions while maintaining a commitment to safety and sustainability. The company’s innovation-driven growth model takes advantage of world-class technology platforms, deep customer engagement, and differentiated application development to grow its leading positions in attractive end markets such as transportation, building and construction, and consumables. As a globally inclusive and diverse company, Eastman employs approximately 14,000 people around the world and serves customers in more than 100 countries. The company had 2021 revenues of approximately $10.5 billion and is headquartered in Kingsport, Tennessee, USA. For more information, visit www.eastman.com.
Seeking qualified candidates to fill the PhD Chemical Engineer position in the Technology organization in Longview, Texas. Innovation Engineers generally work in conjunction with peer PhD Chemist/Engineers and BS Chemists to identify, scale-up, and commercialize breakthrough process technologies. Innovation Engineers will help to implement new chemical processes into manufacturing by translating processes from a lab environment to full scale production.
• Conduct technical experiments (lab and pilot scale)
• Lead and participate on multi-disciplinary teams
• Develop hands-on and in-depth technical expertise
• Install, operate, maintain, and trouble-shoot scale-up equipment
• Resolve production issues with colleagues
• Work in a fast paced, results-oriented team environment to assist in developing new technologies
• Support new or established technologies for commercial products:
• Model separations (distillation, extraction, etc…)
• Demonstration of fixed-bed operations
• Technoeconomic evaluation of different technologies
• Document experimental work and write technical and invention reports
• Work safely and promote a safe work environment
Chemical Engineers are expected to take the lead in safety, housekeeping, and need to be self-starters, work independently, and have good personal organizational skills. Flexibility is a must in this distinctly innovative environment. Candidates should have a positive social attitude and like to work in a team.
Candidates must have Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering from an accredited college or university
• Broad background in Reaction or Separation sciences is preferred with small molecule focus
• 2-5 years’ experience at a Chemical Manufacturing Plant is a plus
• Innovative and creative problem solving, math and science skills, and familiarity with statistical methodology
• Initiative and the ability to work in a team setting
• Clear and effective written and oral communication is essential
• General computer experience with relevant and Microsoft software packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Demonstrated ability to identify and capture IP opportunities
• Ability to advise management on development and scale-up strategy of potential production/commercialization opportunities