Founded in 1920, Eastman is a global specialty materials company that produces a broad range of products found in items people use every day. With the purpose of enhancing the quality of life in a material way, Eastman works with customers to deliver innovative products and solutions while maintaining a commitment to safety and sustainability. The company’s innovation-driven growth model takes advantage of world-class technology platforms, deep customer engagement, and differentiated application development to grow its leading positions in attractive end markets such as transportation, building and construction, and consumables. As a globally inclusive and diverse company, Eastman employs approximately 14,000 people around the world and serves customers in more than 100 countries. The company had 2021 revenues of approximately $10.5 billion and is headquartered in Kingsport, Tennessee, USA. For more information, visit www.eastman.com.
This successful candidate will be a confident, outgoing collaborator, with good interactive skills ranging from operations to upper management, but especially with laboratory chemists, technicians and engineers. S/he will become an integral member of multiple product and process development teams, developing process and unit operations models and providing insights that guide teams towards the most economic and robust process solution.
Specific duties will include:
*Developing process concepts and models for the production of new products based on proposed chemistry routes and early laboratory data
*Developing and employing thermodynamic models to represent physical properties correctly for separation and reactor models
*Engaging heavily with laboratory chemists, technicians, technologists and engineers to set up laboratory and pilot plant experiments and obtain data required to develop and validate models
*Proactively communicating the implications of laboratory and pilot plant results or decisions on the process economics
*Providing capital estimates (especially early concept phase) and operating cost evaluations to discern economic viability at full scale.
*Finding innovative solutions to improve economic viability of new processes/products
*Developing models of existing processes or unit operations and using these to innovate major improvement concepts
*Providing technical and business assessments to guide management through the development and scale-up of new products/processes
• PhD in Chemical Engineering with 2+ years experience related to process development OR BS/MS Chemical Engineering with 7+ years process development and modeling experience
• Skilled at flowsheet development and specific unit operation modeling (especially distillation and reactors)
• Experience in scaling small scale processes to plant scale equipment design (preferred)
• Good interpersonal skills
• Ability to direct work of technicians and operators, although this is not expected to be a major part of the job
• Proven ability to engage well with technicians/operators, peers, and management and to collaborate to find innovative solutions