LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2021, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the "World's Most Admired Companies" for the fourth consecutive year.
The R&D Sustainability Engineer will be responsible for (1) leading and/or supporting product development, industrialization, and commercialization of polyolefin-based products into new or existing applications and (2) providing compounding and extrusion expertise. The focus area includes mechnical recycling, closed-loop projects, and design for recycling initiatives. This includes managing and/or developing the technical aspects of business-driven projects with a circular design mindset.
The aim of the role is to enhance LyondellBasell’s competitive advantage in targeted markets, aligned with Business Stakeholders (Polymers and Technology) and in close dialogue / collaboration with the R&D EU organization.
The R&D Sustainability Engineer (1) leads and/or supports product development projects for LyondellBasell’s Polyolefin products in rigid / molding (e.g., blow molding, injection molding, pipe, etc.) and flexible / extrusion (e.g., packaging film, etc.) applications and (2) provides subject matter expertise for extrusion / compounding.
• Provide fundamental technical subject matter expertise in polymer structure / property / process relationships
• Provide subject matter expertise in extrusion for projects related to polyolefins compounding and mechanical recycling
• Apply a fully circular design approach nurturing mechanical recycling, closed-loop, eco-design and design for recycling initiatives
• Assess feedstock quality requirements for recyclates and plastic waste flows; support development of new formulation and recipes; drive optimum incorporation level of recyclates in final products while at the same time maximizing properties in the end-use applications
• Focus on business innovation themes and on target end-use segments to enhance LyondellBasell’s business competitiveness; maintain and further grow differentiation and competitive advantage in the market
Some specific responsibilities of the position include:
• Drive GoalZERO HSE performance and behaviors through active engagement and employee involvement to provide a safe work environment
• Highly self-motivated individual, committed to delivering results
• Excellent attention to detail, with strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills
• Positive team behaviors, including interpersonal skills, positive attitude, sharing information, and giving and accepting feedback
• Good organizational and time management skills in order to effectively manage multiple and/or changing priorities
• Interface effectively with R&D researchers and technicians with definition of requirements and identification of solutions for projects
• Working cross-functionally to manage / support product and process development projects from initiation, through qualification, to subsequent industrialization / commercialization in support of business objectives
• Coordinating the activities of multi-functional teams to achieve objectives using collaboration, personal influence, and excellent organization and project management skills
• Initiating and developing ideas related to extrusion, compounding, product and / or application development opportunities; conducting scouting research and designing experiments to develop proof-of-concept with the intent of establishing technical and commercial feasibility
• Working with the Polymer Businesses, Technical Service, and Manufacturing to develop and implement strategies to enhance LYB’s polyolefin products
• Interfacing with Procurement, Global Engineering (GE&T), R&D EU Extrusion & Compounding groups, APS, and third parties (such as universities and/or recycling companies) as needed in support of mechanical recycling
• Interfacing with Technical Service, Marketing, Sales, Product Management, Manufacturing, Product Safety, and Intellectual Property group members in support of business needs
• Approximately 10 to 25% travel within North America, with occasional trips to Europe and other regions possible
Masters and/or PhD in areas including Polymers, Material Science, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Engineering with relevant process engineering experience
Minimum 0-10 years of experience in a technical role (R&D, Application Development & Technical Service, Polymers Compounding/Manufacturing)
Polymers experience preferred
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics.