LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2021, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the "World's Most Admired Companies" for the fourth consecutive year.
The Syngas Process Control Engineer has the primary responsibility for defining and maintaining the control strategies, including both advanced process control (APC) applications as well as DCS-based regulatory controls. This position generates a broad range of challenges that require routine interaction with other work groups to ensure maximum value is derived from the control systems.
• Develops and ensure the integrity of the unit's control and optimization strategy through controls and automation.
• Collaborates with unit engineers, operation specialists, and SMEs to identify new opportunities, deficiencies, or performance shortfalls applicable to APC.
• Collaborates with DCS Specialists to sustain and document APC performance by providing regular monitoring and timely support of existing applications.
• Leads the technical effort through all phases of projects including: initial regulatory test & review, plant tests, data analysis, development of inferred property calculations, model development, controller tuning, commissioning, operator training, benefits analysis, short and long-term support of capital and expense projects.
• Incorporates company standards, guidelines, and best practices for controller design, implementation, and support.
• Drives management of change for control applications.
• Validates and document the benefits of recently installed APC applications or other improvements.
• Trains process engineers and operations on the functionality and characteristics of relevant APC applications.
• B.S. in Chemical Engineering or closely related field.
• Minimum 6 years related job experience.
• Demonstrated experience with Process Control in olefins, chemical, and/or refining facilities is preferred.
• Knowledgeable of chemical/process engineering fundamentals, unit operations, and associated mechanical equipment.
• Understanding of process engineering and control theory fundamentals and the ability to model and control petrochemical processes.
• Effective leadership skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to mentor and coach operation team members.
• Ability to develop and build process control strategies, cascades, PID controls, and DMC controls.
• Strong understanding of Honeywell Control System (TDC 3000 and Experion).
• Strong understanding of AspenTech multivariable control technology.
• The ability to manage multiple and changing priorities.
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics.