LyondellBasell, one of the world’s largest plastics, chemical and refining companies, is seeking a Researcher for the Houston Technology Center (HTC) in Channelview, TX. HTC is a state-of-the-art R&D facility that serves as the global R&D center for LyondellBasell's Intermediates and Derivatives (I&D) and Olefins Businesses. HTC R&D focuses on innovative opportunities that drive sustainable process and technology improvements, improving catalyst and process technologies for our existing chemical manufacturing facilities and on developing new technologies allowing LYB to maintain and build on our competitive advantages. HTC also provides technical support to our manufacturing and business organizations.
The position requires management of the accountabilities and share the knowledge, experience, and practice across the R&D, process development and manufacturing teams. The Researcher will lead efforts in the identification, development, scale-up and industrialization of new catalysts and processes to meet the critical feedstock needs of LyondellBasell while also supporting the continuous improvement and debottleneck of existing plant assets.
This is an exciting career opportunity to work in a state-of-the-art research facility along-side our technical team of experts. HTC is located at the Channelview Complex, one of the largest petrochemical facilities in the Gulf Coast with approximately 2,000 employees, covering 4,000 acres, just 19 miles from our corporate Headquarters in downtown Houston. This is a direct-hire position with competitive base salary, bonus, 401K matching, generous benefits package, pension plan and employee discounts.
• Lead projects and project teams to identify and develop innovative new processes that support the company’s business objectives. This will include:
o New idea generation and project definition
o Experimental design for bench scale laboratory equipment and pilot plants
o Maintain excellent knowledge of chemical engineering principles and chemical processes; specifically reactor design and separation
o Design of pilot test units from lab to demonstration scale, and protocols to efficiently generate data for process development
o Provide leadership and direction to technicians/operators supporting his/her projects
o Support sustainability initiatives for process and technology improvements
o Document and communicate results and progress to technical teams, supervision, management, business leadership
o Work with the Engineering and Manufacturing organizations to plan and execute industrialization plans including plant trials, where needed
• Maintain a strong emphasis on safety. This includes responsibility for conducting thorough safety analysis of experimental programs.
• Identify and evaluate new or emerging technologies, research areas and growth opportunities to drive Olefins and Hydrocarbons business growth, manufacturing process debottlenecks , and improvements to company safety and environmental performance.
• Work effectively with R&D researchers, staff, technicians, and management for competent performance of job functions.
• Work with Manufacturing, Global Engineering and the Businesses for alignment of project activities and efficient execution and implementation of R&D projects. May lead multi-functional project teams to support local or worldwide business objectives.
• Evaluate new and emerging technologies to improve olefin production: cracking, catalytic cracking, and separations processes
• Identify, shape, and champion technical innovations and approaches to solve the most challenging and important process issues in Olefins and Hydrocarbons
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2022, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the "World's Most Admired Companies" for the fifth consecutive year.
We have the potential — and responsibility — to use this scale and reach to make a positive impact across our value chains. That’s why we are working to make meaningful progress to address some of the world’s most pressing challenges such as reducing plastic waste in the environment, helping to mitigate climate change and contributing to a thriving society for our employees, the communities where we operate and the people who depend on our products.