LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2021, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the "World's Most Admired Companies" for the fourth consecutive year.
LyondellBasell, one of the world’s largest plastics, chemical and refining companies, is seeking a Research Engineer for the Houston Technology Center (HTC) in Channelview, TX. HTC is a state-of-the-art R&D facility that serves as the global R&D center for LyondellBasell's Intermediates and Derivatives (I&D) and Olefins Businesses. HTC R&D focuses on innovative opportunities that drive sustainable process and technology improvements, improving catalyst and process technologies for our existing chemical manufacturing facilities and on developing new technologies allowing LYB to maintain and build on our competitive advantages. HTC also provides technical support to our manufacturing and business organizations.
The Research Engineer will lead efforts in the identification, development, scale-up and industrialization of new catalysts and processes for a variety of chemical technologies. This includes identifying and developing technologies to reduce costs or improve efficiencies for existing units and inventing new products and process technologies to support long-term business objectives.
This is an exciting career opportunity to work in a state-of-the-art research facility along-side our technical team of experts. HTC is located at the Channelview Complex, one of the largest petrochemical facilities in the Gulf Coast with approximately 2,000 employees, covering 4,000 acres, just 19 miles from our corporate Headquarters in downtown Houston. This is a direct-hire position with competitive base salary, bonus, 401K matching, generous benefits package, pension plan and employee discounts.
• Masters or PhD in Chemical Engineering or Chemistry with at least 10 years of relevant experience in chemicals, petrochemicals, fuels, or related R&D is required. Some consideration may be given to candidates with equivalent industrial and R&D experience.
• Preference will be given to candidates with a background in experimental design and experience in bench scale laboratory equipment and pilot plants.
• Experience with reactor and/or process design and scale-up is preferred.
• Experience with new pilot unit design, construction and commissioning is preferred.
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing with technicians, fellow researchers, plant engineers, management, and executive levels is essential. Must be comfortable making presentations to senior management to obtain support for projects.
• Ability to effectively manage multiple and/or changing priorities with minimal supervision.
• Ability to lead R&D project teams to meet site and company goals. This includes providing mentorship to other researchers on site.
• Strong technical orientation, able to use and build on their technical education, training, and experience to perform well in an R&D work environment.
• Needs to be highly creative in proposing new projects, optimizing process concepts and finding ways to meet project objectives. Excellent problem-solving skills required.
• Highly self-motivated individual with demonstrated ability to drive for results.
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics