This role provides production engineering support to the Lyondellbasell Syngas Partial Oxidation Unit at the LaPorte Texas complex. Responsibilities include monitoring, troubleshooting, and optimizing production areas to drive process and product improvements while maintaining a strong safety and environmental compliance focus. During a typical day you will apply technical knowledge to detect causes of deviations in quality, capacity, yield, and energy consumption or provide technical training to less experienced engineers. The Syngas unit consist of 3 partial oxidation reactor systems, an 11 process equipment coldbox, H2 compression, flares, and a cooling tower. The Syngas unit is an integral part of the methanol and acetic acid units at the LPO site.
• Monitor and improve daily operation of the Syngas unit by working directly with operations personnel. Optimize unit performance and troubleshoot problems. Coordinate the actions of several departments necessary to resolve production issues.
• Develop systems and implement projects to improve and sustain value in the areas of health, safety, environment, production, cost, and quality.
• Perform design calculations required to generate process data to check and validate equipment and system performance.
• Effectively interface with groups across the company including site manufacturing and technical groups, other process engineering support groups, project engineering and business and engineering management.
• Effectively facilitate teamwork to obtain alignment of organizational goals and gain consensus and support from company personnel.
• Participate and lead process hazard analyses and management of change activities.
• Mentor less experienced engineers. Develop and deliver technical training.
• Coordinate and/or perform project duties for small capital projects, including process simulation, development of heat and material balance calculations, and preparation of Process Flow Diagrams (PFDs) and Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs).
• Participate in unit turnarounds
• B.S. Degree in Chemical Engineering
• A minimum of 6 years prior experience working as a chemical engineer with relevant experience in the refining, petrochemical, or chemical process industries.
• Experience with Syngas, partial oxidation reaction, or oxygen processes a plus
LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2022, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the "World's Most Admired Companies" for the fifth consecutive year.
We have the potential — and responsibility — to use this scale and reach to make a positive impact across our value chains. That’s why we are working to make meaningful progress to address some of the world’s most pressing challenges such as reducing plastic waste in the environment, helping to mitigate climate change and contributing to a thriving society for our employees, the communities where we operate and the people who depend on our products. To learn more, click here.
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics.