SABIC is a global leader in chemicals headquartered in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. From making cars and planes more fuel-efficient, to helping conserve the world’s water supply and enabling colorful smartphone cases, we find solutions to the challenges of today to help our customers achieve their ambitions and build a better tomorrow.
At SABIC, we combine a rich track record of doing what others said couldn’t be done, with a deep understanding of our customers. But our true impact is as a partner who can help our customers achieve their ambitions by finding solutions to their challenges. We call this ‘Chemistry that Matters™’
Corporate Technology & Innovation: PDP Poly Technologies
- This is a technical position reporting to a Sr. Manager within the Global Technology Licensing Support team. Depending on the status of specific projects, the position could report to a more senior Process Engineer or Lead Engineer.
To work on a broad array of projects supporting the Global Technology Licensing group within SABIC with special focus on the development of process design packages (PDP’s) and support of licensing out activities throughout the entire cycle of a technology transfer project. The ideal candidate will be an experienced process engineer who can quickly become familiar with various chemical and polymers processes or technologies and make significant contributions to advance SABIC’s business and the preparation of design packages, FEED and EPC support of projects where SABIC is a technology Licensor.
JOB PURPOSE & RESPONSIBILITIES
The role of Process Engineer is to work with multi-disciplinary internal and external teams to develop and optimize process design packages, support SABIC’s technology licensees during FEED, EPC and provide technical support during start-ups and operations. The role may include leading certain activities in the preparation of the design packages and other related tasks. The Process Engineer may also be working with Technology Development and R&D teams and other business units to evaluate inquiries from potential clients as well as preparing required documents for developing new technologies within SABIC.
The Engineer’s key responsibilities are:
- Working on/taking a lead in preparing process and equipment design documents to enable successful deployment of SABIC’s technologies through the preparation of Process Design Packages (PDPs). Participate in engineering activities to ensure readiness before starting the development of process design packages.
- Use process simulation software (Aspen Plus (preferred), Hysys or other equivalent to support and prepare the above documents.
- Develop engineering documentation for Feasibility Studies, Front End Loading (FEL), Process Design Package (PDP) and Front End Engineering Design (FEED). The documentation shall include but is not restricted to Process Simulations, H&MB’s, PFD’s, Equipment Sizing and Specifications, P&ID’s, Instrumentation and Controls, etc.
- Estimate equipment, capital and operating costs for potential applications and projects.
- Support Licensing Out activities by working on technical proposals, PDPs and other licensing support activities.
- May include mentoring/training junior process engineers to develop their process engineering skills.
- Troubleshoot and recommend cost-effective solutions to problems arising during engineering, construction, start-up and on-going operation of the SABIC technology plants.
The Process Engineer is expected to perform at a high standard and operate within defined bounds of authority in assisting the Engineering Manager to:
- Maintain well organized and complete records and information systems
- Maintain high standards for safety
- Recommend and use best-practice engineering tools and techniques
- Contribute to define and prioritize goals and perform to meet targets for the Process Engineering Group
- Develop proposals for potential clients
- Develop tools to facilitate efficiency and consistency in the preparation of process design packages
- Validating simulations with data from pilot, demonstration and commercial scale operations
- Interface with EPC contractors on a frequent basis and answer questions, referring to internal experts where necessary. May include working at the engineering contractor offices.
- May include mentoring junior process engineers to develop their plant engineering skills and experience
MINIMUM EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- BS or higher degree in Chemical Engineering
- 5 to 10 years of experience, preferably in process design packages including plant design, process and systems engineering, equipment sizing, cost estimation and plant operations. Experience as licensor representative for the engineering team in projects related to licensing out activities. Experience working with an engineering company/EPC (Engineering Procurement and Construction) contractor is a plus
- Experience in chemicals/petrochemicals/polymer technologies. Hands-on experience in developing all aspects of process design packages
- Experience with design packages for first of a kind technologies is a plus
- Track record of applying sound knowledge of Chemical Engineering principles to complex problems and integrated plant designs and operations
- Proficiency with process simulation software is required (Aspen Plus (preferred), Hysys or other equivalent) and experience with Aspen Basic Engineering and data based centric software for P&ID’s (i.e. SmartPlant PIDs) is preferred
- Strong motivation to implement new technology and commercial applications
- Personal integrity, honesty, and credibility
- Ability to work independently as well as within multi-functional teams
- Pragmatic, results oriented
- Problem solving attitude, innovativeness
- A commitment to on-going personal development and a readiness to accept and give feedback
- A willingness to take responsibility
- Hard working and energetic with a strong sense of urgency
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Able and willing to travel as need arises
- You must submit your application for employment online to be considered. Please submit your resume using the “Apply Now/Apply” option on this page.
- You must be 18 years or older
- You must have unrestricted authorization to work in the United States
- Relocation if available