28 Sep, 2021
Springfield, MA, USA
Plastics & Manufacturing
- This is a Sheet Process Development Engineer position located in Springfield, MA. Plan & conduct development activities including the specification / design of new equipment and the establishment of new operating parameters from pilot scale testing through commercialization for innovation, capacity expansion, cost reduction, and quality improvement programs.
- Lead efforts to develop state-of-the-art technologies with significant product quality improvement, capacity expansion and cost reduction implications, by utilizing knowledge in the areas of polymer rheology, polymer processing, extrusion, mixing, fluid mechanics and advanced melt flow computational methods.
- Plan & conduct development activities to provide process support for new product development programs from pilot scale testing through commercialization.
- Provide technical support as needed to manufacturing and customer operations for process and quality issues through troubleshooting and process optimization using engineering and statistical analysis and basic equipment operating knowledge.
- Provide project support as a Technical or Process Representative or Leader in both Design & Development and New Facility Projects.
- Interface with Manufacturing, Business, Marketing, customers and external contacts
- Ideal candidate will have a degree in Polymer / Chemical / Mechanical Engineering and 3-5 years of relevant industrial experience.
- A proven “track record” in the design, development and implementation of new technology for film and sheet extrusion systems. Candidate must be a self-starter, driven by the discovery and implementation of the latest polymer processing technologies.
- Preferred: Knowledge in the design and development of polymer processing machinery, focusing on extrusion, mixing, sheet forming and web/roll handling.
- Knowledge of polymer material science; solid state properties, rheology, fluid mechanics.
- A strong background in the principles of Process Engineering including scale-up concepts, process analysis and control, statistical methods, transport phenomena and thermodynamics.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team.
- Attention to detail and good written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong commitment to task and ability to organize / prioritize and execute assignments in a high activity environment.
- Willingness to accommodate significant travel to execute major responsibilities