Process Engineer (Chemical Engineer)
Founded in 1920, Eastman is a global specialty materials company that produces a broad range of products found in items people use every day. With the purpose of enhancing the quality of life in a material way, Eastman works with customers to deliver innovative products and solutions while maintaining a commitment to safety and sustainability. The company's innovation-driven growth model takes advantage of world-class technology platforms, deep customer engagement, and differentiated application development to grow its leading positions in attractive end-markets such as transportation, building and construction, and consumables. As a globally inclusive and diverse company, Eastman employs approximately 14,500 people around the world and serves customers in more than 100 countries. The company had 2020 revenues of approximately $8.5 billion and is headquartered in Kingsport, Tennessee, USA. For more information, visit www.eastman.com.
The Middelburg site was established in 1968 and Eastman acquired it in 2001. The key products produced are rosin and hydrocarbon resins, including Regalite™ hydrogenated hydrocarbon resin. The product end uses are adhesives, printing inks, coatings, paper production, paint, food industry, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, textiles and building products.
As part of a highly skilled, multidisciplinary engineering team, the process engineer will be responsible for leading technical efforts to support the manufacturing processes and involves working in cross-functional teams including operations, maintenance, engineering, quality and business leadership. Primary responsibilities include performing (safety) studies and prepare Process Design Packages (PDPs) and revamping or debottlenecking of existing plants along with day-to-day support. This position reports to the site engineering manager.
- Plan & conduct development activities including the process design package / design and the commissioning/start-up of new installations.
- Close cooperation with other disciplines like E&I, mechanical engineering and DCS
- Support technical bid evaluation and vendor clarification meetings.
- Act as a process engineering resource to identify and aid in execution of capital projects
- Lead projects to implement changes to process and equipment to improve safety, quality, and productivity.
- Facilitate or support root cause analysis of process upsets, equipment failures to identify & implement corrective actions to prevent reoccurrence.
- Participate in cross functional problem-solving and improvement teams at the department and division level.
- Maintain and update relevant Process documentation (e.g. drawings, ATEX Hazardous area reports and P&ID’s).
- Provide expertise to scope reviews, HAZOPs, alarm reviews, safety audits and investigation teams as required.
- Provide technical support as needed to the Manufacturing department and customer operations for process and quality issues through troubleshooting and process optimization using engineering and statistical analysis and basic equipment operating knowledge.
- Provide project support as a Technical or Process Representative or Leader in Design & Development and New Facility Projects.
- Candidate must complete all assigned duties in a safe manner.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Chemical Engineering
- At least 3-5 years relevant work experience in the chemical/process industry or Engineering company related experience.
- Functional Safety Engineer (certified) based on international standards IEC 61508 and IEC 61511
- Excellent team player showing high adaptability, sharing optimism, and having a proactive mindset.
- Good personal communications and people skills, customer focused and self-motivated
- Well-developed analytical traits, easy decision maker and tenacious in achieving results.
- Good planner and organizer with a high stress tolerance.
- Excellent and proficient communicator in Dutch and English.
- Experience with design, drafting, field verification, installation, troubleshooting, and problem solving in an industrial setting preferred.
- Experience with front-end engineering and HAZOP/SIL studies.
- Familiar with ATEX and relevant API/NEN Standards.
- Strong organizational skills, detail oriented, the ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and adapt in a fast-paced manufacturing environment and prioritize work.
- The ability to effectively communicate at all organizational levels
- Demonstrate a bias for action mentality towards making changes that solve problems and have a positive impact on the process, products, and people.
- Candidate has the ambition to fulfil a future Manufacturing or leadership position within Eastman.