About Siemens Process Systems Engineering (SPSE)
Passionate, visionary, collaborative and professional; these are some of the things that our customers have said about SPSE. From our employees’ perspective, we operate an open, diverse and flexible culture, providing independence, opportunity to innovate, early responsibility and open and respected leadership. Therefore, people tend to stay a long time and grow with the company. SPSE is proud to have a great working environment that is friendly and supportive, with a real focus on training and development.
About Digital Application Projects at SPSE
At SPSE, the Digital Applications (DA) team deploy SPSE’s advanced process models in the process industries to monitor and optimise plant performance in real-time, either with ‘Decision Support’ or ‘Closed-Loop’ systems. We execute projects for our clients’ assets around the world. Recent implementations include:
• Real-time optimisation of utilities costs and CO2 emissions for a large refinery
• Real-time yield optimisation for an olefins plant
• Operator decision support for a chemical reactor
DA projects integrate a mathematical model of the physical process - implemented in SPSE’s gPROMS® Advanced Process Modelling platform - with real-time plant IT systems including plant historians, distributed control systems and SQL servers, together with plant operations workflows. DAs can run ‘open-loop’ in advisory mode, or closed-loop, e.g. as a real-time optimiser (RTO). Fundamental to our deployments is the use of SPSE’s gPROMS Digital Applications Platform (gDAP), our proprietary software system which integrates models with plant information systems.
Senior Consultant Engineer – Digital Applications team – the role
As a Senior Consultant Engineer, you will be responsible for providing expert technical consulting, leadership and support in the DA team, specifically providing project support (i) for SPSE customers at both an execution and supervisory level and (ii) for sales and business development activities. You will also assist in promoting and developing the team’s technology base for digital applications.
Duties and responsibilities:
• Lead the execution of DA projects
• Work with our clients to understand their project objectives
• Design SPSE’s solutions to match client objectives within SPSE’s delivery capability
• Define project milestones and schedule as appropriate
• Execute projects, liaising with clients as appropriate
• Manage the creation and implementation of appropriate Human-Machine Interfaces and Dashboards
• Lead on-site teams configuring and installing SPSE’s gDAP system at client sites, either in the form of Decision Support or Closed-Loop systems
• Ensure internal and external documentation is of appropriate content and quality
• Conduct Factory and Site Acceptance Testing and project sign-offs
• Provide ongoing client support via telephone calls and visits
• Undertake business development and lead generation for DAs by presenting and attending events, trade shows, conferences, webinars, sales visits etc.
• Proactively initiate new discussions with existing customers and strategic prospects to enable SPSE to better understand their goals and challenges and identify potential business opportunities for SPSE
• Qualify opportunities and undertake pre-sales activities, leading the technical communication on DAs with SPSE’s prospects and customers
• Support customers to implement new and optimise performance of existing process DAs and troubleshoot problems
• Prepare and conducting training courses and workshops on-site to help clients improve their DAs
• Provide post-sales support to clients for solutions already delivered
• Feed back customer and market requirements into new product developments
• Provide marketing support, including demonstration dashboards/DA systems and white papers on model-based process engineering
Required education and skills/experience:
• A first or 2.1 degree in Chemical Engineering.
• 5+ years professional experience in system integration or plant automation, ideally with an automation company, operating company or dedicated service provider to the process industries.
• Proficient in using process simulation tools for steady-state & dynamic simulation & optimisation objectives. Experience with gPROMS®, SPEEDUP®, ACM®, Dymola® or another equation-oriented modelling tool is an advantage.
• Programming (PYTHON, C++) experience and knowledge of SQL is desirable but not essential
• Demonstrated work experience and / or knowledge of:
o Process control applications.
o Advanced Process Control technologies such as RTO
o Proactively applying engineering and problem-solving skills to develop cost effective control application strategies
o Performing process control infrastructure and technology assessments
• Good presentation and client interaction skills
• Excellent oral and written English language skills
• Ability to work independently and as a team member
• Ability to prioritise scheduled tasks and react to unexpected problems
• Willing to travel overseas on frequent short business trips (up to 30% of your time)
What we offer you:
• Flexible working
• 26 days of holiday per year, plus 8 days of statutory Bank Holidays
• Company pension
• Medical insurance
• Group life assurance
• Comprehensive internal and external training programme
• Excellent career development
• Cycle-to-work scheme
• Perkbox discount platform
• Great office environment, with free fruit, coffee and biscuits, and regular social events
• Reimbursement of professional registration and cost of professional books
• Internal coaching sessions with a Professional Coach
SPSE is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.