LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2021, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the "World's Most Admired Companies" for the fourth consecutive year.
LyondellBasell is staffing for a Process Engineer for the La Porte, TX Manufacturing Complex, located 18 miles from downtown Houston. Our 440-acre La Porte Complex consists of olefins, polymers, acetyls, and syngas operations. The primary responsibility of the process engineer is to provide technical support as a technical expert. This position requires daily interaction with operations, technical, safety, maintenance, and reliability to drive overall improvements in unit performance. This role will lead the design and installation of long-term projects to overcome process constraints, resolve reliability issues, and comply with environmental regulations. This will include defining scope, providing front-end-loading, and incorporating process knowledge during engineering phases. This role will mentor and coach less experienced engineers and will also advise on initiatives to maintain a competitive advantage.
• Collaborates with operations to identify new opportunities to remove constraints to maximize on stream time and profitability while ensuring safe, environmentally compliant, reliable operation
• Analyzes complex operating issues and provides documented recommendations to improve performance
• Supports gap closure and continuous improvement activities by providing technical expertise, engineering calculations, and justifications for capital and expense projects
• Leads capital, expense, and special project scope development, execution, support, and training
• Leads Management of Change process (MOC/PSSR)
• Provides technical expertise in process safety including, PHAs, PSVs, and safety system bypasses
• Provides technical expertise during troubleshooting, turnarounds, startups, shutdowns, catalyst changes, and other non-routine unit activities
• Reviews engineering calculations to quantify environmental and LOPC releases
• B.S. or higher degree in chemical engineering or related field
• 15 or more years of experience in manufacturing with background in olefins, refining, petrochemical or chemical plant environments
• Mastery of technical understanding of unit processes and application of unit operations principals such as mass and energy balances, fluids, thermodynamics, mass and heat transfer, and distillation
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work across multi-disciplinary teams and interact with all levels of the organization
• Strong process troubleshooting ability and knowledge of tools and resources to perform such activities
• Innovative thinking to solve complex issues
• Self-motivation and high initiative
• Strong understanding of creating and implementing capital and expense projects
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to mentor and coach technical and operating team members
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.