This is an exciting time to join our team and help us in our ambition to become a net zero company by 2050 or sooner, and in our purpose of reimagining energy for our people and planet.
In bp Solutions, we drive synergies and standard solutions across all of Production and Operations. This includes providing scalable support on common process, scaling up digital transformation and support carbon reduction.
We are now looking for a Senior Process Safety Engineer in the bp Solutions Process Safety Engineering (MAR, Risk, SV and Barriers) team to provide central process safety engineering support to operating assets in production, refining, terminals and pipelines in bps Production & Operations (P&O) business.
The key area of responsibility for the team include: major accident risk (MAR), consequence modelling, occupied portable buildings (OPBs), safe operating and design limits (SOL/SDL), exclusion zones, process safety self-verification (OMS 3.3), barriers, bulk storage and road loading for highly flammable liquids.
This role will be primarily responsible for quality assurance (QA) for the onshore and offshore Major Accident Risk (MAR) studies completed by the team but will also be involved in other process safety engineering activities associated with the other key responsibilities of the team such as:
- Quality Assurance (QA) for the onshore and offshore Major Accident Risk (MAR) studies completed by the team.
- Assisting the Process Safety Engineering Discipline Leader and other members of the team to deliver the onshore and offshore MAR revalidation programs
- Collaboration with colleagues in bp’s Innovation and Engineering (I&E) business and with personnel in the P&O operating businesses on MAR and consequence modelling
- Developing the major accident risk and consequence modelling skillset of the team through coaching, mentoring and structured training
- Supporting I&E with future planned upgrades to the offshore MAR software and tools
Additionally, this role is also a working member of the team that will be required to work as part of the bp solutions global services squads to support the process safety needs of the different operating business in P&O.About you
You will have a Degree in Engineering or related discipline. Chartered or Professional Engineer status or equivalent is preferred.
It is essential that you have:
- A strong process safety skillset and experience working in process safety engineering roles in the oil and gas industry (e.g. upstream/production, refining or terminals and pipelines)
- A passion for process safety and for driving improvement in process safety performance
- Experience in Major Accident Risk (MAR) and consequence modelling.
It is preferable that you have significant competency and experience in the following areas:
- Major Accident Risk (onshore – bp MARC, offshore OMAR) (bp MAR Master qualification preferred)
- Consequence Modelling (e.g. DNV PHAST, Cirrus, Baker Risk SafeSite etc)
- Quantitative Risk Assessments (QRA) (eg experience with DNV cloud QRA or similar)
Other desirable attributes that are looked at favourably include:
- Solid leadership and influencing skills
- Ability to build collaborative relationship with teams across different geographic regions
- Experience in agile ways of working
- Taking accountability and showing initiative
- The ability to engage in difficult conversations
- Learning, sharing of knowledge and continuous improvement
This role location is agnostic based either in the US or UK at one of our bp hubs. This is not an expat role and will not offer international relocation or visa sponsorship.