BakerRisk is currently seeking an Operations Manager with heavy focus on Business Development and organizational growth for our Chester, UK Regional Office, serving the UK, Europe, Middle East and Africa (UK/EMEA). The self-motivated, experienced candidate will successfully provide strong leadership to develop, cultivate and expand BakerRisk’s presence outside of the Americas, and to establish, promote, and enhance the company’s culture to ensure profitability and management goals are achieved. Essential to this role is an ability to develop and nurture the company’s relationship with key clients, vendors, and business partners to achieve overall company objectives and consistent, long-term growth and success of the UK Regional Office.
The Operations Manager will manage staff on a day-to-day basis, spearheading process improvements and growth initiatives to develop and expand our regional presence in our markets, and partner with other BakerRisk offices and resources to develop contacts and opportunities. A key component of the Operations Manager’s duties will include leveraging existing BakerRisk and personal industry contacts as well as developing new key client relationships to support regional office growth. In addition, the Operations Manager will be responsible for working with staff to utilize their skillsets to effectively achieve regional goals as they relate to corporate objectives. This candidate will be performance driven, an established leader, well connected in the UK/EMEA region and a promoter and influencer of a team environment within the office and organization.
Operations Manager Position Description
- The Operations Manager is responsible for ensuring that the UK/EMEA operations are functioning optimally and working collaboratively; leveraging company resources to ensure that clients are getting the best product and value.
- Provides visible, compelling leadership with hands-on operational management across the segments, geographies, and individual projects.
- Promotes a culture of quality to achieve “best in class” status within the industry.
- Directly responsible for execution of UK/EMEA business goals and objectives in alignment with corporate and region-specific business plans.
- Identifies growth opportunities in the UK/EMEA region and works with company management to determine how and where growth can be achieved. Executes growth plans, which may include individual staff growth opportunities, temporary assignments for staff from other offices and identifies opportunities for recruiting/hiring additional staff to align with workloads.
- Creates a cohesive and viable business unit in the UK/EMEA regional office with a focus on sustained growth.
- Reviews operating results, compares them to established objectives, and ensures appropriate measures are taken to correct unsatisfactory results.
- Supervises, mentors, and monitors professional growth (i.e., project management, business development, client interactions) of local staff. Ensures staff have technical mentorship in coordination with technical managers/discipline leaders.
- Communicates to effectively align UK/EMEA regional office staff with the entire organization through messaging and goal setting. Communicates and enforces company policy for local staff.
- Supports communication structures (e.g., meetings, reports, performance metric postings) to ensure that all office staff have routine access to receive and provide effective communication on company goals, expectations, performance, initiatives, and staff support needs.
- Meets and exceeds team and individual utilization/revenue and business development goals.
- Coordinates with corporate resources to meet administrative and safety needs for regional location.
- Ensures leads and projects that cannot currently be performed by staff in the UK/EMEA regional office are communicated to other BakerRisk offices, and follows up, as needed. It is critical that these leads are documented to ensure credit is provided until the UK/EMEA regional office has the right skills in the office, where applicable.
- Monitors and tracks KPIs in support of office success factors, which include, but are not limited to, staff utilization, office business development, work handed off to other offices, and regional work flowing directly to other offices.
- Identifies opportunities to leverage office location for potential business and cost efficiencies of conducting business in international locations.
- A primary responsibility is to focus on developing a pipeline of future work to provide revenue for team members and allow for strategic growth. Focus needs to be on both short-term and long-term objectives.
- Advises the Executive Management Team on specific challenges and market competition with strategies and tactics to capture work, increase market share, and avoid significant industry downturns.
- Works with the Business Development Team to coordinate business development, marketing, and strategic planning efforts.
- Participates in risk analysis on bid/no-bid decisions and review and approve technical proposals, schedules, and cost estimates.
- Develops and maintains effective strategic relationships with key stakeholders including senior executives and business partners.
- Assesses staff capabilities and needs with methods to attract, recruit, and retain a talented team to meet operational needs.
- Technical expertise in one or more of our core areas of business such as Process Safety, Insurance Risk Engineering (IRE), Blast Effects, Incident Investigation, Fire Protection, or Protective Structural Design.
- Proven track record of developing business in our core areas of business.
- High energy, ethical and visionary leader with the ability to engage, inspire, mentor, and effectively lead a multi-disciplinary, diverse team.
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills.
- Strong business development and client relationship skills.
- Proven record of managing complex technical projects.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, as required.
- Specific experience in developing customer relationships.
- Strong understanding of the challenges and market competition within the engineering and consulting market sector with the proven ability to secure work and increase market share.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Results-oriented professional with the ability to develop effective strategies, set target goals and execute plans to meet financial and organizational objectives.
- 15+ years of technical expertise in one or more of our core areas of business such as process safety, IRE, blast effects, major incident investigation, fire protection, or protective structural design.
- 5+ years’ experience managing technical teams.
- Graduate degree in a relevant engineering, technical field, or MBA.
- Professional chartership or similar qualifications.