LyondellBasell (NYSE: LYB) is one of the largest plastics, chemicals and refining companies in the world. Driven by its employees around the globe, LyondellBasell produces materials and products that are key to advancing solutions to modern challenges like enhancing food safety through lightweight and flexible packaging, protecting the purity of water supplies through stronger and more versatile pipes, improving the safety, comfort and fuel efficiency of many of the cars and trucks on the road, and ensuring the safe and effective functionality in electronics and appliances. LyondellBasell sells products into more than 100 countries and is the world's largest producer of polypropylene compounds and the largest licensor of polyolefin technologies. In 2020, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the "World's Most Admired Companies" for the third consecutive year.
The Advanced Process Control Engineer has the primary responsibility for defining and maintaining the control strategies and automated optimization within the assigned operating unit, including both real-time optimization and advanced process control applications, as well as DCS-based regulatory controls.
Roles & Responsibilities
Conceive, Justify, Design, Commission, and Maintain APC and Mulit-Unit optimization applications:
- Collaborate with unit engineers/SMEs to identify new opportunities, deficiencies, or performance shortfalls applicable to advanced process control. Assess potential benefits for proper prioritization and incorporate into APC Long Range Plan where appropriate.
- Lead the technical effort through all phases of new and revamp of applications: Initial regulatory test & review, plant tests, data analysis, development of inferred property calculations, model development, controller tuning, commissioning, operator training, benefits analysis, long-term support.
- Validate benefits of recently-installed and existing APC and optimization applications or other improvements, and document in site revenue enhancement database.
- Collaborate with Process Control Specialists and Engineers to sustain APC performance & KPIs by providing regular monitoring and timely support of existing applications.
- Collaborate with unit engineers/SMEs to ensure that APC control strategies and unit optimization applications continue to push towards optimal limits as business drivers or operating conditions change.
- Collaborate with Process Control Specialists to develop and maintain APC documentation for controls in supported unit, and work with operations to update documentation and unit operating manuals as needed to reflect changes to control strategies.
- Collaborate with central planning and optimization group to make sure the site optimization goals are aligned with the overall business goals.
- Support the Advanced Control and Optimization Technical Network, advancing best practices and supporting corporate initiatives.
Oversee the performance of regulatory DCS control strategies:
- Provide technical expertise to project teams and/or Process Control Specialists regarding control strategy development or modification as necessitated by operational or equipment changes.
- Provide technical support/guidance to Process Control Specialists and Engineers as needed to address complex or recurring issues with DCS controls.
- Collaborate with organization to update and maintain the site Long Range Plan for regulatory and support systems.
- BS Degree in Chemical Engineering or related field required.
- Minimum 3 years related job experience is required.
- Effective leadership skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to mentor and coach technical and operating team members.
- Ability to develop and build process control strategies, cascades, PID controls, DMC Controls, and automated optimization applications.
- Strong understanding of Distributed Control Systems is desired.
- Strong understanding of AspenTech multivariable control technology (DMCplus, DMC3) is desired.
Builds effective teams
Instills trust and exemplifies integrity
Must be at least 18 years of age and must be legally authorized to work in the United States (US) on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.
LyondellBasell does not accept or retain unsolicited résumés or phone calls and/or respond to them or to any third party representing job seekers.
LyondellBasell is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected characteristics. The US EEO is the Law poster is available here.