Founded in 1920, Eastman is a global specialty materials company that produces a broad range of products found in items people use every day. With the purpose of enhancing the quality of life in a material way, Eastman works with customers to deliver innovative products and solutions while maintaining a commitment to safety and sustainability. The company's innovation-driven growth model takes advantage of world-class technology platforms, deep customer engagement, and differentiated application development to grow its leading positions in attractive end-markets such as transportation, building and construction, and consumables. As a globally inclusive and diverse company, Eastman employs approximately 14,500 people around the world and serves customers in more than 100 countries. The company had 2020 revenues of approximately $8.5 billion and is headquartered in Kingsport, Tennessee, USA. For more information, visit www.eastman.com.
Eastman Chemical Company is seeking a staff engineer at the Martinsville, VA site supporting the Performance Films business. The individual in this role will be responsible for leading technical efforts to support the manufacturing processes and involves working in cross-functional teams including operations, maintenance, engineering, quality and business leadership. Primary responsibilities include identification and implementation of improvement projects along with day-to-day support. This position reports to the site process engineering manager. Job expectations will include:
- Day-to-day support and troubleshooting of films manufacturing processes
- Ability to interact with and seek feedback from operators on the manufacturing floor on a frequent basis
- Act as a process engineering resource to identify and aid in execution of capital projects
- Lead projects to implement changes to process and equipment to improve safety, quality, and productivity with the use of Lean, 6-sigma and other continuous improvement tools (including statistical analysis)
- Facilitate root cause analysis of process upsets, equipment failures and customer complaints to identify & implement corrective actions to prevent reoccurrence
- Maintain operational documentation of manufacturing process, asset capabilities and capacities
- Ensure product quality specifications are appropriately established and customer fitness for use expectations are met
- Participate in cross functional problem-solving and improvement teams at the department and division level
- Collaborate with new product development, product management, R&D, and customers to create and implement new materials / processes into large scale manufacturing
- Bachelor of Science in a Mechanical or related Engineering Discipline
- Mechanical engineering preferred, with other disciplines acceptable with applicable experience
- Previous experience in a manufacturing Engineering or an Operations technical support role desired
- Preferred 2-5 years experience
- Experience with wet coating applications, convection drying, lamination or Roll to Roll Web Technology desired
- Methodical approach to problem solving and ability to recognize and implement solutions to improvement opportunities independently
- Experience utilizing statistical methods to problem solve and evaluate complex issues desired
- Strong organizational skills, detail oriented, the ability to multi-task, meet deadlines, and adapt in a fast-paced manufacturing environment and prioritize work
- The ability to effectively communicate at all organizational levels
- Demonstrate a bias for action mentality towards making changes that solve problems and have a positive impact on the process, products, and people
Eastman Chemical Company is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.
Eastman is committed to creating a powerfully diverse workforce and a broadly inclusive workplace, where everyone can contribute to their fullest potential each day.