The activities of Process Control Engineers are deeply integrated into site work processes and requires deep collaboration with other disciplines and departments in site. The site work processes are predominantly structured around each of the areas in the plant. Most of the process control team members are dedicated to an area while some are site wide roles.
- Develop high level scoping definition at a conceptual level for PACO projects. Develop technical definition documents (Basis for Design) and cost estimates at a Decision Gate 3 level (+/- 30% accuracy).
- Provide technical guidance and review for MOCs and Capital projects.
- Drive the effective preparation of high-quality project deliverables for IDENTIFY/ASSESS and SELECT project phases for a select suite of PACO-themed projects. Ensures the deliverables are fit-for-purpose and are aligned with the Shell Opportunity Realisation process, enabling quality decision making at Project Decision Gates.
- Coordinate the involvement of other engineering disciplines as required and ensure project justification and business case development is robust and aligned with site objectives.
- Ensure REVEX funds are managed and spent according to approved budgets and support the tracking and reporting of monthly and yearly spend forecasts.
- Collaborate with Projects Leaders to ensure a smooth, effective transition of projects into the DEFINE and EXECUTE phases.
- Support the team in preparing and presenting projects at DG1/2/3, enabling robust decisions to be made regarding project progression to the next phase.
Process Control Engineer is responsible for delivering the front-end planning, development and engineering of a portfolio of strategic PACO projects in support of the site business plan and long-term strategic objectives. This role is accountable for all project deliverables per the Shell Opportunity Realization Process for IDENTIFY/ASSESS and SELECT project phases and will facilitate the handover to the Projects Execution organization during DEFINE phase. The PACO Project Development Engineer will drive business value through proactive problem solving, assurance and long-term thinking.
To build a one team mentality and ensure strong working relationships between Asset/Business and TAO based staff, there will be clear focal point individuals designated to work together (by Asset/Business).
Flexible office hours with some travel; some flexibility to make evening or early morning calls/ meetings.
Lots of competing priorities in this role. Balancing the needs of different stakeholders and effectively prioritizing the project development worklist and communicating priorities will be crucial for success.
1. Creating a joint ownership of activities and success criteria between the asset and TAO.
2. Working remotely from the asset, and hence the need to establish a good ways-of -working and communication protocol.
3. Balancing and align SBO TAO (global) expectations with the asset, and at times may require difficult conversations to be held for step-out activities.
4. Clear decision making and authority for each activity/ delivery of requirements needs to be established.
- Engineering degree in Chemical, Instrumentation, Process Control or similar.
- Knowledge+ in IPF/SIF and DCS / PLC including SIS systems.
- Skill+ in any 2+ PACO sub-disciplines, including above (some deep skills in PACO).
- 6+ years relevant petrochemical industrial experience (or equivalent) covering significant aspects of design and engineering in the PACO discipline; preferably in a refinery/upgrader or large industrial facility.
- Knowledge of the project development work processes including the stage-gated opportunity realization process.
- Ability to work effectively within a multi-discipline team environment consisting of Engineering, Projects, Maintenance, and Operations in order to manage the development of projects to mitigate long-term threats and realize long-term opportunities.
- Organized, thorough, and professional.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with peers and clients.
- Ability to articulate and defend a case for change or improvement. Negotiation skills in order to sell project solution ideas to stakeholders.
- Conflict management skills.
- Demonstrated evidence of Shell Leadership Attributes and Enterprise first values and behaviors.