About the Project
Due to recent project awards and an exciting pipeline of further work being tendered, we are recruiting to grow our Asset Optimisation Team which provides wastewater process engineering consultancy to support our clients across the UK to get the very best from their assets and programmes. This is a unique opportunity to join an agile technical team of process engineers working on the front line with operational teams to develop innovative practical and digital process solutions. Our team delivers optimisation studies at feasibility, concept, optioneering and preliminary design stages to mitigate risk, return sites to compliance, or enable low or no build solutions to be provided for new permit drivers.
The work undertaken to date has proved to be well received by utilities, particularly in the south of England. As a consequence we are seeking to grow our Asset Optimisation team in the north & midlands with a number of potential opportunities in the pipeline. The role is to lead the expansion into the Midlands and North while initially supporting current workstreams in the South. We are also interested in hearing from candidates who would prefer to work in the South due to the growing work for the current team.
This is a national, home based role, with a requirement to regularly travel to Costain Offices, Client Offices & Sites.
We are currently growing our water and wastewater treatment process engineering capabilities both for our Asset Optimisation and Major Project Execution service lines.
We are seeking to recruit a Principal Clean Water Process Engineer with extensive knowledge and experience in the design and operation of UK clean water facilities. Our Asset Optimisation Team provides process engineering consultancy to support our customers to get the very best from their assets and capital programmes.
OA lead / Principal Process Engineer is one of the company’s leading specialists in process optimisation, design and operation. The role reports to the Asset Optimisation Programme Director and the jobholder shall have responsibility for thought leadership; technical development of the function; support to business development and work winning; delivery of asset optimisation proposals and project execution in the water sector.
· To lead teams on optimisation studies at feasibility, concept, optioneering and preliminary design stages, with accountability for quality, budget, and schedule
· Development of process optimisation schemes, initiatives, and solutions at both site and programme level.These schemes will mitigate risk, return sites to compliance, or enable low or no build solutions to be provided for new permit drivers
· Provide technical thought leadership and strategic consultancy advise to clients and joint venture partners
· Develop relationships with Costain Key Account Directors; Capability Account Leads; customers; supply chain and other third parties
· To work collaboratively with business development, work winning and marketing functions to develop and tender new opportunities studies and major projects across new and existing clients
· To provide process engineering support to construction and commissioning project teams
· To develop of the Asset Optimisation function, to grow the capability and product offering both in human expert optimisation and digital solutions.
· Approval of process design calculations, reports, presentations and proposals
Costain helps to improve people’s lives with integrated, leading edge, smart infrastructure solutions across the UK’s energy, water, transportation and defence markets. We help our clients improve their business performance by increasing capacity, improving customer service, safeguarding security, enhancing resilience, decarbonising and delivering increased efficiency. Our vision is to be the UK’s leading smart infrastructure solutions company. We will achieve this by focusing on blue chip clients whose major spending plans are underpinned by strategic national needs, regulatory commitments, legislation or essential performance requirements. We offer our clients leading edge solutions that are digitally optimised through the following five services which cover the whole lifecycle of their assets: future-shaping strategic consultancy; consultancy and advisory; digital technology solutions; asset optimisation and complex programme delivery. Our culture and values underpin everything we do.
· Degree qualification in a process related discipline is essential
· Chartered Engineer and member of a relevant engineering institution e.g. CIWEM, IChemE etc
· The candidate should have at least 10 years’ experience including significant experience of clean water treatment
· A background in an engineering consultancy or contracting environment is essential. Operational utility experience would be beneficial
· An existing network of relationships with clients (asset managers, project and operations) and industry influencers and suppliers will be an advantage
· Experience in the full project life cycle: scoping, outline design, detailed design, construction support commissioning and handover
· Ability to apply relevant industry codes, standards and guidelines for the water sector
· Proven background in process engineering definition including development of mass balance, data analysis, design calculations, technology selection, major equipment and package datasheet specification, process flow diagrams, process control philosophies and P&ID’s