Nova Pangaea Technologies (NPT), a growth phase SME with a revolutionary biomass waste-to-sugars technology, is looking for a Commercial Director with strong technical foundations to drive its future commercial growth internationally and provide support to more junior members of the technical staff.
With experimental, pilot and demonstration plant facilities located primarily at Wilton International, Teesside, NPT is developing a revolutionary fractionation technology Refnova for conversion of waste biomass into valuable 2nd Generation sugars. Continuous and based solely on thermo-chemical principles, the process uses no enzymes or bacteria to obtain monomeric C5- and C6-sugars and a lignin char. These can be further processed into base-chemicals to replace conventional fossil derived counterparts.
With the completion of its Wilton demonstration plant imminent, the company is seeking a seasoned chemical engineer with strong commercial instincts and abilities, to join the senior Executive Team. Reporting to the Chief Executive, the successful applicant will focus on identifying and implementing commercial initiatives internationally as well as nurturing the further development of the company’s existing commercial collaborations. They will also be expected to use their technical ability to support the company’s young engineering and technology development teams in the further development of the technology.
Commercial Aspects of the Role
- The commercial initiatives may include, but are not restricted to:
- Refnova licensing opportunities, hence
- Business and project development with potential and existing licensees, which in general will include assisting them to develop techno-economic views of the way Refnova will profitably complement their operations
- This may include assessments of feedstock availability and offtake agreements
- Reviewing and approving contracts and license agreements
- Development of commercial resources as required, including Public Relations, communications, contacts with external bodies, and the NPT website
- International travel
- Define and execute the commercial activities required to implement the agreed initiatives, within plans for these agreed with the CEO.
- Monitor performance of commercial activities.
- Develop and maintain the necessary market, competitor, economic and other information necessary for commercial planning, including the Refnova techno-commercial models.
- Conduct market research and analysis to support commercial planning, including working with outside consultants where necessary and agreed by the CEO.
- Issue Board reports on NPT commercial plans and activities and relevant Commercial Market/Competitor/Technology developments
Technical aspects of the Role
- Supporting the Engineering Staff and Technical Development Director (TDD) as required on the resolution of technical issues that arise in connection with technology development, equipment designs or operations.
- Assist the TDD with Grant opportunities supporting the commercial strategy
- In liaison with the CEO and TDD assist in establishing downstream technical and commercial opportunities and partnerships for licensees to convert products from the Refnova technology into marketable fuels and chemicals
- Coordinate, with the Technology Development Director, the development and implementation of NPT’s Intellectual Property plan with particular emphasis on patent maintenance and protection
- Ensure protection of the company’s IP by establishing appropriate Confidentiality/-Non-Disclosure Agreements with commercial contacts, working in conjunction with the Company Secretary
- The Commercial Director will be expected to assist the CEO in business planning including setting financial targets and budget development and monitoring
- Also to support and assist with general administration as required and agreed with the CEO
Ideal key skills/experience/specifics:
- Chemical Engineering or other technical degree ideally with experience in sustainable chemistry preferably involving lignocellulosics
- 5 years+ experience in a senior staff role in the process industries such as biomass, petrochemical, oil and gas etc
- Strong interpersonal skills, an ability to convey complex ideas, and a good entrepreneurial instinct
- A self motivated individual keen to work in a start-up developing transformational green technology
- Ability to coordinate and closely liaise with existing and potential commercial collaborators/ process implementers and also research or technical institutions
- Willingness to travel internationally
- Based in Northeast UK – site location Teesside
Reporting & Remuneration
- An attractive benefits package enabling participation in company results as NPT enters a commercialisation and growth phase of development. In addition to a competitive salary this includes a bonus scheme, contributory pension, and a performance based share option scheme
- Reporting to the Chief Executive, this position also carries the potential for appointment to the board based on performance.
Apply for Commercial Director
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly