Senior Organic Chemist
As a senior organic chemist this a great opportunity to design and synthesise next generation materials for the business. There are also opportunities to influence multiple interfaces (like performance differentiation, Innovation, Manufacturing Technology, external outsourcing and Safety). The successful candidate will complement the R&D team’s current skill base and play a critical role in enabling the team to become the High Performance Agile Team that deliver the new components the business needs (incremental, step-out & disruptive).
This is a great role for an organic chemist who wants to be involved in
- Coaching – imparting experience and knowledge to a variety of skill bases and team members.
- Opportunity to build personal network extensively across range
- Influence our New Technology Innovation Culture.
- Greater understanding of market opportunities (short - long term)
- Exposure to Innovation & road map opportunities.
- Development of external outsourcing relationships.
- Influence lab set-up & equipment to support the synthesis needs of the business.
- Lead the scale-up from 10g to 10Kg with support from chemical engineer.
- Lead safety initiatives to continue to build on the strong safety culture, deliver risk assessments and consistently demonstrate the highest standards of safety and quality.
- Deliver robust routing scouting to deliver materials in a time efficient manner.
- Supervise, develop & coach laboratory based chemists.
- Prepare a variety of materials in an agile and efficient manner.
- External focal lead for assigned chemical outsourcing.
- Provide design solutions to a variety of programs to enable science teams to prove or disprove the working hypothesis.
- Communicate progress, challenges and delivery through a variety of communication media.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience Required:
- PhD Chemistry, Synthetic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, or a related petroleum subject.
- Technical background - significant experience in related fuels diesels and oils markets,
- Excellent organic chemistry background with strong track record of delivering materials to aggressive timescales within a research & development environment.
- Strong safety focus including networking, communication, a demonstrated ability to deliver high standard risk assessments, make solid safety recommendations when faced with obstacles and influence changes to work differently based on learnings from near miss reporting.
- Ability to take an objective view of technical problems and address them with creativity and innovation.
- Strong commitment to HSE and quality values