Senior / Lead Chemical Engineer
Senior / Lead Chemical Engineer
Based East Midlands, with regular travel to Essex and other UK sites
Competitive base salary + company car + excellent benefits
About the Company:
EPC-UK Plc is the UK’s leading supplier of commercial explosives, initiating systems and blasting services to the quarrying, mining, defence and construction markets. Additional services including logistics, manufacture of cetane improver, training and consultancy advice enables EPC-UK to offer its customers a complete portfolio of integrated and tailor-made solutions.
Headquartered in Alfreton, Derbyshire and a wholly-owned subsidiary of the EPC Groupe based in Paris, the UK operation is profitable, growing and a major player in the international group.
EPC-UK’s sites in Derbyshire and Essex are Upper Tier COMAH and it also has several Lower Tier operations – all rigorously controlled to enable handling of class 1, section 5 and protectively marked goods. Focus on health & safety runs beyond processes and regulations and also embraces behaviours and culture.
Both EPC Groupe and EPC-UK are seen as Pioneers and Innovators in the sector. The group’s commitment to R&D and its technical expertise ensure it remains at the forefront of the industry and allows it to move beyond the traditional to create and deliver bespoke solutions for its customers.
About the Role:
The Senior Chemical Engineer is a brand new role for EPC-UK and will be a key member of the UK Senior Operations team, reporting to the UK Managing Director.
It’s essentially a Subject Matter Expert / Professional Lead role – and one that will engage and interface very closely with every element of the operations and business to steer, shape and embed best practice, safety and innovation across all areas of chemical engineering.
A broad and varied position, the focus will span the development and continuous improvement of processes and ownership for updating all COMAH site Safety Reports. It will also encompass the research & development of products - from conception to delivery - to meet the needs of customers.
A highly collaborative role – you’ll need to practise and promote liaison with colleagues and managers across all departments, locations and functions of the Company and also external customers and suppliers.
One particular area of focus for the first 12-18 months will be supporting the Essex plant in reviewing processes and conducting a thorough HAZOP study and progressing risk reduction measures – which will necessitate part of each week spent there.
Key accountabilities include:
- Leading the design and development of chemical processes at both EPC-UK COMAH Upper Tier sites
- The continuous updating of the site Safety Reports and the progressive reduction in major accident risks
- Setting best practice guidelines around chemical engineering in production and product development
- Supporting commercialisation and new product introduction from a chemical engineering point of view Coaching, training and developing Engineers and supporting their professional development
You’ll be a Chemical Engineer by profession, with significant experience in COMAH operations and able to provide expert functional and technical leadership to the Operations functions and wider business. As a consequence, you’ll need a broad business and general manufacturing understanding to supplement your engineering expertise, to ensure your solutions and advice are fit for purpose.
Strong influencing skills will be essential to drive change and build knowledge and understanding in a matrix organisation. This together with the maturity and breadth of thinking to participate fully as a member of the UK Senior Operations team.
Specifically you’ll have:
- Bachelor’s Degree or above in chemical engineering
- Chartered Engineer status with the Engineering Council, most likely IChemE Experience in COMAH top tier operations
- At least 10 years industrial processing plant experience, responsible for carrying out Chemical / Explosive plant design and maintenance activities
- Significant experience in process hazard analysis and development of systems through to demonstration of tolerable risk
You'll need to travel regularly to the Essex facility - typically spending 3 days per week there in Year One.
Please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or for further information, please call Jane Longworth on 01276 475 667
Apply for Senior / Lead Chemical Engineer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly