Johnson Matthey PLC are recruiting two experienced process engineers to develop early front end engineering of capital projects at two key sites in the UK (Royston and Brimsdown) and to assist their delivery through to final handover and operation.
The workload will be mainly at Brimsdown but some projects will be at the Royston site. Selected candidates will be expected to travel between these two locations in order rapidly to establish effective working relationships with key site personnel, quickly understand the details of the challenge or opportunity and synthesise a cost effective and executable project scope, with associated definition of brownfield interfaces, scope options, heat and material balances and process flow diagrams etc. The incumbents will be expected to work closely with a project engineer so that the combined deliverables of scope, cost estimate, schedule, execution and contracting strategy and resourcing plan will be suitable for progression through a project stage gate at 30% cost estimation level.
Depending on the project challenge, it may be required for the incumbents to continue in a support role for the rest of the duration of each project.
The successful candidates will report to the Front End Scoping Engineer in the Operational Excellence Projects Group in the Efficient Natural Resources sector.
- Lead the production of concept and front end engineering design for various projects at the Royston or Brimsdown operating locations. These projects will vary significantly in size and opportunity / challenge level.
- Be technically accountable for process safety for the project, including design integrity.
- Lead the development of initial process scope, including block diagrams and process flow diagrams (PFD's), design basis, heat and material balance, preliminary piping and instrumentation diagrams (PID’s) etc.
- Ensure completion of all safety studies (hazard studies, level of protection analysis, safety integrity studies) etc
- With the project engineering lead and / or Project Manager, ensure project compliance with JM Group EHS Policy, site, local and national regulatory standards.
- Lead the project technical decision making process, gaining the support of the Project Manager, business lead and site asset manager.
- Be the JM process engineering lead with any selected engineering contractor in order to deliver the contractual and technical scope.
- Be the point of continuity between the initial process design and final commissioning and handover, to ensure that decisions are carried through to the project end with minimum avoidable change.
- Be the JM process design lead opposite other functional teams within JM in order to ensure a seamless and efficient flow of critical technical information in support of the wider business venture.
Are you the ideal candidate?
In order to be considered for the role, it is essential that you can demonstrate:
- Strong chemical engineering first degree from a first class institution.
- At least 5 – 10 years experience working as a process engineer at a manufacturing facility in the process industry (oil and gas, mining and metals, chemicals, pharmaceuticals etc)
- Sound knowledge of engineering and regulatory standards in the UK and EU.
- A track record of leading technical teams
- Ability to operate creatively and effectively at the project initiation stage (where the scope is not fully defined) and steer the technical work programme and decision making process
- Chemical plant design experience, including working with engineering contractors
- Experience of designing or operating flammable hazard processes.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Knowledge of engineering standards and best practices.
- Assessing technical risk.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, planning and time management
- Ability to share information pro-actively and persuasively to a wide range of stakeholders
- Proficiency in use of standard Microsoft IT Suite.
- High level understanding of deliverables and interfaces between engineering, contracts and procurement, construction and commissioning.
Desirable experience and knowledge:
- Experience of combustion, chemical reaction, mass transfer, fluid mechanics, precipitation, filtration, mixing, drying, forming.
- Process development / scale-up.